LegacyGT.com

Wagon enthusiast considering fifth gen sedan

My '98 wagon has given me over 200,000 relatively care-free miles, but is beginning to show signs of becoming less than reliable. I am an AWD "sport" wagon enthusiast, but don't find many wagons on offer in the US that excite me. I am heavily leaning toward a used fifth gen GT sedan as my next car.

Nearly all of the used GTs on the market are '10s. Are there any known issues with the first production year of the new model? Other than making sure that previous owners kept up on their oil changes, is there anything else I should be particularly attentive of when looking at used GTs? Thank-you for any tips you have to offer.

Better grab the 5th generation GT quick. Subaru has stopped production for the year 2013 and GT will no longer be made. That means not many GT will be around much longer.

Make sure the car doesn't have the highway "shimmy"

Thanks for the shimmy tip, CL21376. I will read up on the issue.

Subaru has stopped production for the year 2013 and GT will no longer be made.

First, there were no wagons without raised suspensions. Now, there will be no turbo Legacy!? With no new offerings to tempt me, it looks like whatever I replace my LGT wagon with will be with me for a long time.

You may want to find a used outback XT

Since I usually keep my cars for 10 years or more, I am primarily looking for something that is only a couple of years old. Still, I am not ruling out any OXT, ’05 LGT wagon, fourth gen LGT, BMW 3 series Xdrive wagon, AWD Saab Aero SportCombi, Saab Turbo X, Audi Quattro Avant, first gen Volvo R wagon, Mazdaspeed 6, etc. with low miles that might come along at the right price. While I would prefer a LGT, I am also not ruling out a 5-door WRX or a Forester XT.

I think with list of cars your willing to look at, the Legacy is the best of the lot, for repairs.

I think another problem your seeing, is finding one in your area.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I think with list of cars your willing to look at, the Legacy is the best of the lot, for repairs.

Yep. That is why the Legacy is at the top of my list. I think a Forester XT would be good in that regard too.

I think another problem your seeing' date=' is finding one in your area.[/quote']

Right again. The Southwest is not overflowing with Subys. I am patient, however, and make at least a couple of trips per year to Utah where there are many more available.

It is a good thing I am not in a hurry.

The only two LGTs for sale in Albuquerque right now are at CARMAX. Because of their "no haggle" sales model, anything on their lot is going to cost too much. They have a 2010 with many miles that does not appear to have been particularly well cared for (http://tiny.cc/r2oudw). They also have a low mile 2009 that appears really clean but is priced too high (http://tiny.cc/dtpudw).

At least I can go drive them back to back to see how a fifth gen feels right after a drive in a fourth gen.

Funny how the one year older car is worth more money, even with the lower miles.

If I had to chose, I'd get the 09, much better aftermarket support.

It isa little high, give them your name and let them sit on it fora while. When there ready to deal, they can call you.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Funny how the one year older car is worth more money, even with the lower miles.

They have an Impreza GT on the lot that is even more than either Legacy GT! Judging from the prices on their lot and the listing times indicated on Cargurus, it appears that they start their cars high (exceedingly high when you consider that they are non-negotiable) and slowly lower them the longer they sit on the lot. The '10 has been on the lot much longer than the '09. Still, someone was willing to pay that steep price for the '09. It disappeared from their inventory yesterday.

The '10 has been sitting on their lot long enough now that it is approaching what I consider a reasonable price. I love the car, but it smells like an ashtray and the previous service history is a mystery. Carmax, predictably, doesn't have the vehicle's service history and nothing came up for it at mysubaru.com. Carfax has 18 records for it, but I haven't paid to see what those might be. I'll have to see if Carmax can/will give me the 18 Carfax records.

Archived