LegacyGT.com

Replace all 4 Blizzaks, or take risk of replacing just 1 with used, similar tread?

hkuhn

I blew the sidewall on my right front Blizzak LM-25V 235/40/R18s last night on '08 Spec B.

These tires still have at least a season or 2 of life (about 5mm tread).

In the winter I don't drive long distances with this car much; mostly just to and from work.

I want some advice here: Do I try and find a used tire with similar thread, or do I buck up and get 4 new tires?

I am aware of the stress to the transaxle, transmission, etc with different sized tires, especially on Subie 'symmetric' AWD.

Input appreciated!

Guess it depends on how old these tires are, and/or how old the replacement tire would be... or you may end up in the same situation again.

If you can get the tires to within 1/4" circumference of each other, you'll be okay.

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

• Moderators
If you're at approx. 5 or 6/32nds, and you live somewhere where you actually get a bunch of snow, it's probably just time to get a new set. At that tread depth they still may do well in terms of the rubber compound being better in the cold, but your actually snow traction is probably diminished quite a bit.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

Do I try and find a used tire with similar thread, or do I buck up and get 4 new tires?

I am aware of the stress to the transaxle, transmission, etc with different sized tires, especially on Subie 'symmetric' AWD.

If you know of those things, then you should really be able to answer this on your own. :)

If you replace one, the tire must of the exact same make and model and size of tire, and it must be shaved down to the same rolling circumference as the other 3 tires.

• 3 weeks later...
George - That's exactly the opposite of what Subaru recommends - Unless - there's less than 1/4" of rolling circumference difference between the front and rear and left and right tires. Otherwise, replace all four tires with same make, model, size as a set. Pick the best of the remaining and make it your full-size temporary spare.
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

• 4 weeks later...
Blizzaks have a special rubber compound that only extends about halfway through the tread-- this helps greatly with traction on ice. Given that the AWD needs tires that are very close to the same size and that the tread toward the end of life isn't nearly as effective as the top half, I'd seriously consider replacing all four if you can swing it. I think Firestone has a sale right now for $1 over store cost if you can get one of the emails.

Blizzaks have a special rubber compound that only extends about halfway through the tread-- this helps greatly with traction on ice. Given that the AWD needs tires that are very close to the same size and that the tread toward the end of life isn't nearly as effective as the top half, I'd seriously consider replacing all four if you can swing it. I think Firestone has a sale right now for $1 over store cost if you can get one of the emails.

I am not aware that LM series of Blizzaks have this feature.

Krzys

If you're at approx. 5 or 6/32nds, and you live somewhere where you actually get a bunch of snow, it's probably just time to get a new set. At that tread depth they still may do well in terms of the rubber compound being better in the cold, but your actually snow traction is probably diminished quite a bit.

thats for damn sure, my rears are down to 5/32 and they are scary bad in the snow this morning.

Archived