LegacyGT.com

Dohc to sohc

Hi again all :cool:

So my friend and I were talking. Now something had us thinking. Can you take the dohc parts (referring to the entire cam/intake head) and put the sohc parts on the block? Reason for this I don't want to rebuild my engine just yet but my local junkyard has a 254 engine so I was gunna see if I can stick the heads and everything on. If I don't get a few answers soon I'm going to try it anyways :lol:

Sorry. I was rushing to post before I had work. :lol: but I was just going to take the dohc from the good block and put my sohc on that said block. Just to save myself the time of rebuilding my engine. And so I don't have to screw around with wiring so I can just keep it sohc wiring. Just a thought ;)

Yea, its a 2.5i just get a junk yard motor.

Or look around the web for a rebuilt one. Call around local shops and see if you can find a rebuilt engine somewhere.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Yea, its a 2.5i just get a junk yard motor.

Or look around the web for a rebuilt one. Call around local shops and see if you can find a rebuilt engine somewhere.

So we can do it? Only reason is I want an engine to plop in my car so I can drive it in the mean time so I can rebuild my old one

So we can do it? Only reason is I want an engine to plop in my car so I can drive it in the mean time so I can rebuild my old one

you can take any ej25x block and use it with any cams that came on one. you should however only use the single cam for NA and the DOHC for turbos. you can build a beast NA race motor with an ej257 that has high compression pistons and the SOHC head.

If u use a turbo motor compared to an n/a motor without changing pistons you are gonna end up lowering the compression ratio which will make u loose power unless u turbo it.

Use your stock block. Take the money you would have spent on the junkyard motor and put it towards your motor rebuild.

If you swap in the complete motor, and it's dohc the wiring most likely is different.

Either rebuild your motor or find a motor that is a sohc same engine code from same/close year to yours and swap it in.

Pulling motors from different cars is just gonna cause u a headache as some sensors/parts/ect could be different.

Archived