LegacyGT.com

Elegua's Badass BR9 Wagon

We were thinking about the 6758, but then there was an owner who'd run a VF-52 and a 7163 back to back, who said the EFR spooled within 200rpm. IMO that's in the realm of statistical noise, so we went with the bigger snail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Painted & cut bumper cover waiting for mesh

19225062226_6ca18aa726_c.jpg

Welded the cut section of bumper back on the bumper bar in a box section

18630624523_ed6c26446a_c.jpg

19245232742_fe81f13e84_c.jpg

Cooler back in place with trims to close the airflow between the bumper.

19067516048_bdac0fe22d_c.jpg

Now painted

19251138585_14ef5fb35e_c.jpg

WB02 plug in, downpipe section cut and re-welded. Now just the meths system to install.

Edited by Elegua

Still think you should go full stealth and swap the hood with the 2.5i item ;)
Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

Bumper is back on -hopefully looking stockier than stock.

18659294404_90abd21403_c.jpg

Air deflectors in placed around the oil and transmission coolers

19285682391_6798064b08_c.jpg

Aluminum meth tank and meth pump

19095658189_50e78f2c0c_c.jpg

It all fits under the tray..

19095673769_8afec685b7_c.jpg

First part of the build complete. Now for t00ning...

fahr_side has prepared two maps: One with current fuel and timing but with boost capped at maximum 1bar across the board. From this we can see from running that if we have enough injector on the stock injectors at high revs for WG spring pressure. The other has a 1.3bar at peak, tapering to 1bar at higher revs, like the current stage 3 t00n, to test the transmission a bit. We think we will know very quickly if we can put down 50kgm without the trans crying 'uncle'. Fingers crossed.

19261416146_8c6d9d3bd4_c.jpg

Just to be clear, your previous tune on the billet 18G had a boost target of 1.28bar (18.58psi) with a dip to 1.17bar (16.96psi) right at 6k4rpm to reduce load slightly on the transmission for the shift. The current development tune of the EFR7163 setup has boost holding 1.28bar until 5k2rpm, where we taper off gradually to 1.16bar at 6k4rpm, in order to keep IDC at or below 95%. Once the built shortblock goes in, and the bigger squirters, we will be changing our strategy somewhat!

We have some preliminary results...

Boost threshold is really similar to the previous VF-54/TD05-18G hybrid in 3rd gear. In 4th it might be a tiny bit earlier.

Boost recovery is instantaneous.

Boost control with the single 45mm wastegate is awesome. Rock steady and zero sign of creep.

The car subjectively is quicker on our mild first tune. The attempts at wheelies that were cured with the RCE springs have made a comeback.

We're almost at the limit of the stock injectors and current meth nozzle, so for now we're not pushing for a big power number. We will be turning boost up in the midrange until either the trans shows signs of weakness or we spit a HG.

I think the cams are a major barrier to progress right now, so I'm looking forward to the next step and a built motor.

Edited by fahr_side

• 1 month later...

Quick update. We pushed boost up to 1.4bar to see how the trans would like it, and so far no problems there. No more than that advisable on stock injectors, head gaskets, MAP sensor etc. Oil consumption has jumped a bit but that's to be expected with a snail this size and stock breather system.

Now the motor is out to add the forgies, cams, head studs, injectors etc.

11830320_881786398566789_1151740300_n.jpg.d02987e2c940fe66df8e867d411a6b74.jpg

Thanks for following along.

How much torque is making its way to the 5EAT at this point?

It would be a good indicator of limits that the 3.6R (especially the supercharged 3.6R cars) should look to.

We estimate over 50kgm at the wheels, based on pulls against cars with known output. We haven't run the car on the dyno yet as it's a stop-gap tune at this point. With the motor built we will target the same 1.4bar in the midrange, rising to 1.6bar at redline. The target is the flattest possible torque curve.

You've got a 5EAT legacy GT, would I be wrong to presume that a swap to the GT's 6 speed shouldn't be that hard if you wanted to do it?

If the 5EAT struggles we will go to the STi full-size 6MT rather than the miniature one. The TCU will throw error codes when the transmission solenoids and sensors vanish. Removing the TCU will cause CANbus errors. Even it's possible to flash a 6MT ROM to the ECU, that doesn't fix the CANbus errors from the BIU, instrument cluster etc., all of which put the ECU into a limp mode.

In other words, if the 5EAT shits the bed, we will have to go to a standalone ECU with CANbus interface, namely a Syvecs unit.

Edited by fahr_side

^^^I am no expert, but from what I have read it is not exactly an easy swap. Its not just the mechanical stuff, there is also quite a bit of wiring to do as well to make the transfer possible. Possible yes easy no

I guess I should say easy relative to what I would have to go through. My 3.6R would be a nightmare because its basically never been done on this motor and since the GT already has a 6 speed manual in countries with both Left and Right side drive I figured it wouldn't be as much guess work. At least that was my thought process.

The 6 speed from the GT is the same as the 2015+ WRX but the STi def has a more durable transmission so that is probably a better route.

360 ft lbs to the wheels is I believe beyond what ItalianLegacy is pushing in his Supercharged 3.6 (Italian can you chime in to confirm). Safe to say I doubt we should have any torque issues with that transmission.

Edited by Golferdude1087

If you're earlier than '08, ClimberD will sort you out. If later, you need to increase Calculated Torque values to increase line pressure and get those clutch packs firmly clamped up.

Stupid double post cock. Edited by fahr_side

• 2 weeks later...

So, after two typhoons blew the them back to the US, we finally have our parts on hand:

20739596925_766a34248c_c.jpg

The engine is at the machine shop. When it got torn down, we found cylinders no. 2 and 4 were OK, but cylinders 1 and 3 were out of round by 0.04mm. Pistons were in good shape.

We will measure everything out, be sure the main bearing bores all line up etc..but we don't expect that to be an issue. Bores will be honed to 99.73mm for 0.08mm clearance and decks milled.

Pipework is back from getting powder coated black.

New shiny bling....

20551498758_3ab600de9d_c.jpg

20552736959_5565d5e024_c.jpg

There are two things the #YNANSB crowd forget. One is that the factory clearances for main and rod bearings are rather tight for extended use at high rpm. The other is that the top ring gaps are set frighteningly small. It's pretty easy to adjust the latter before installing that shortblock but the former takes a lot of time, patience and finesse to get right. I'm glad our builder is so diligent with this, and has bulk stock of Plastigage!

Sent from some electronic device.

Edited by fahr_side