LegacyGT.com

Anyone had experience painting a bumper? (cracked paint only)

I got backed into on campus (always thought those with nice cars who park way in back were pricks, no more.) Left a nice big crack in the paint.

Didn't catch whoever did it and I wouldnt expect half the people there to leave a note anyway, so I'm screwed for the cost. If you've had to make this repair before, what did it cost? Am I better off with a new bumper cover? Thanks.

If the paint is cracked then it will spider web and more than likely start to flake or peel. Painting the bumper runs aroudn $350-$500 depending on the body shop.

It's pretty badly flaked/peeling already. If I get the whole thing resprayed can they get it close to factory look?

Once again it depends on how good the body shop is, the color of your car, and the rest of the cars paint condition. Black, White, Red, and Silver are the hardest to match. The newer your car is the easier it may be if they use factory paints.

Even from the factory my silver bumpers didnt match. I resprayed my front and rear bumper and my friends all gave me shit for them not matching. Then i showed them a before picture and it was even worse. It all depends on the lighting. Cracked paint is definetly fixable, you shouldnt need a new bumper.

• 4 weeks later...
If the paint is cracked then it will spider web and more than likely start to flake or peel. Painting the bumper runs aroudn $350-$500 depending on the body shop.

Got quoted $800 today, much of which was to remove the bumper. WTF? I'm going to take it to a couple of other places.

I'm not even concerned about a perfect color match, I just want it to not look like shite.

Got quoted $800 today, much of which was to remove the bumper. WTF? I'm going to take it to a couple of other places.

I'm not even concerned about a perfect color match, I just want it to not look like shite.

But removing the bumper is so easy! Its probably a 5-min job for anyone who knows where the popits are by feel. Maybe ask how much if you remove the bumper yourself and bring it in to be painted.

I've had my bumper partially resprayed twice. It didn't come off either time. The body shop recommended not taking it off so the paint can be blended into the other panels better. You can't tell one bit.

The prices are high. I was going to have 1/2 the bumper repainted and the dealership quoted me around $250.

The second time I was going to do it. I was planning on purchasing the materials here:

http://www.automotivetouchup.com/

They have pretty helpful videos.

Literally a couple days before ordering the materials I got sideswiped by a semi, so insurance ended up paying for it. I was looking forward to painting it myself.

If you do it yourself, you may save a lot of money. If it looks bad, then you're exactly where you're at now with a small amount of money out of pocket.

-Clif

But removing the bumper is so easy! Its probably a 5-min job for anyone who knows where the popits are by feel. Maybe ask how much if you remove the bumper yourself and bring it in to be painted.

I know... I have no idea how to read this estimate but it says

sheet metal category - .3 replace hrs and 7 repair hrs for a total of $379.60

refinish category- 4.3 replace hrs for a total of $223.60

12 hours of labor to repaint a bumper? Really? I'll go back and ask them about bringing them the bumper myself but theyll prolly give me a hassle about it (big repair center in town)

Tell them you don't need to take the bumper off and you're prepared to pay $223.60 for the 4.3 hours of refinishing you are asking for. If they insist otherwise, start to walk out and see how quickly they change their mind.

Tell them you don't need to take the bumper off and you're prepared to pay $223.60 for the 4.3 hours of refinishing you are asking for. If they insist otherwise, start to walk out and see how quickly they change their mind.

Plus $170 after tax for paint. So should be a lot closer to $400, that's what I thought. Thanks for the help, and if they keep dicking me around I'll go to another body shop.

I know... I have no idea how to read this estimate but it says

sheet metal category - .3 replace hrs and 7 repair hrs for a total of $379.60

12 hours of labor to repaint a bumper? Really? I'll go back and ask them about bringing them the bumper myself but theyll prolly give me a hassle about it (big repair center in town)

It's been a while, but I used to write estimates for insurance. Let's see:

.3 hours looks like the time to remove the cover.

7 hours to repair the damage (pull out dents, sand, prep)

4 hours to repaint

and then .3 to put it back on

So to me, it seems like they are using standard "R/I" time to Remove/Install the cover.

And there is standard refinish (repaint) time they are probably using - they are repainting the whole bumper.

They are making the money on the repair time, which is subjective.

If you throw a picture of the damage up there, I can give you an idea of how long I'd give for it. If there are no dents and no gouging, then 7 hours is way too high. If a shop had asked me for 7 hours to repair a bumper cover, and it wasn't folded in half, I would have laughed. The general rule of thumb is 1 square foot = 1 hour of standard repair.

Archived