LegacyGT.com

Ok two weeks ago I noticed my a/c was not working so I opened the hood and there I saw my ac belt was ripped in two and half my pump and powersteering belt was left so I took it to a local mechanic and replaced both belts through autozone and today I hear a funny noise in my engine. I again open the hood and the top lamenent of the a/c belt and a few strands of the belt was floping in the wind. I called the subaru deler thinking something was not aligned right and they said that may be the case. Any thoughts anyone? :confused:

ya i took it to subaru and come to find out made crank pulley shifted and the bushings were sheared off moving both belts toward each other ripping them up. The harmonic balencer is gona run me 184 so that suchs but the most funniest thing is the subaru mechanic told me not to drive it like a subaru but like a toyota yaris till i get it fixed lol.

I had the same thing happen recently, and you'll find plenty of reports of the same if you search.

I'm definitely going to buy a Perrin (or other lightweight pulley) rather than another OEM pulley that's likely going to have the same problem.

Out of curiosity, did your belt take out the wiring harness on the A/C compressor when it slipped off the pulley? Mine did, turning a simple belt replacement into an A/C compressor replacement. :-/

I ended up buying the GMS pulley, and sprang for a short shifter & shifter bushings just because the combo deal price was good and I'd really like to have a short shifter.

I'm planning to put the new pulley on before taking it to the dealer to have the compressor replaced (was quoted $820). At least it shouldn't happen again with the new pulley.

m sprank how does your car run with the pulley?

Perrin pulleys work great. Fit fine, install is easy. On a 5EAT make off the line MUCH more fun. Huge difference in how fast the motor winds up. Be nice to the car and you even get 1-2mpg better. On the MT cars it is barely noticeable. But its still cheaper than OEM. I sell them. I can do better than $129 for you.

• 2 weeks later...

No idea. I weighed the stock pulley and the GMS pulley on my bathroom scale. Stock pulley was 5.8lbs. and the GMS pulley was 1.2. Come to think of it, I'm not sure if my bathroom scale reads in 0.1 or 0.2 increments, so take that for what it's worth.

I could totally be imagining it, but over the past week I have managed to convince myself that heel/toe downshifts are more easily rev-matched. *shrug*

• 3 weeks later...

Archived