LegacyGT.com

Anyone install a trans. snout repair kit?

VR4Rob

I have searched through the forums but didn't turn up much on the snout repair kit like the one here: http://www.subaruwrxparts.com/products/5mt-transmission-snout-repair-kit-turbo-p-980.html

To give a little background, I bought my car a few months ago with 69K on it and it had a very faint noise that seemed like TOB noise (from what I've read here.) The car drove fine and held the power fine until about 72K where I started getting some random chatter in the clutch along with a pretty nasty sounding noise when the clutch was disengaged (clutch pedal in.) Over the past 1500 miles the noise got louder and louder and the clutch chatter got worse but the clutch still held just fine with no abnormal slipping.

At this point I decided to go ahead and replace the clutch and do the snout repair kit mod, if nothing else as preventative maintenance. I was taking my time but the clutch decided to completely die a few days ago. The car is completely undriveable and is making a horrendous noise along with some smoke, so my theory is that a spring from the friction disk popped out and trashed/is trashing the friction disk and flywheel.

Anyway, I plan to replace the stock clutch with an 06 WRX flywheel and ACT clutch. A few questions I have are:

Will the snout repair kit still work with this clutch + flywheel combo?

Do I need a different TOB than what's going to be included with a clutch kit?

Does the snout repair kit include the different TOB that I need? It looks like a TOB like device from the pictures but I'm not sure.

Thanks a lot for answering my questions. I hope I was clear in my post! :redface:

You'll be needing the TSK-3, and it comes with the TOB to use. This new bearing has a larger inner diameter to accomodate the size of the sleeve, and comes with a sticker to place under the hood with the replacement TOB part number. The TOB from the clutch kit won't even fit over the sleeve.

You'll be needing the TSK-3, and it comes with the TOB to use. This new bearing has a larger inner diameter to accomodate the size of the sleeve, and comes with a sticker to place under the hood with the replacement TOB part number. The TOB from the clutch kit won't even fit over the sleeve.

Excellent, thank you for the response :) So I'm guessing this TOB in the repair kit should work with the ACT clutch?

Fred beans can't get them. I ordered my clutch/FW setup from them and I had to get the TSK3 locally.

No worries, I ordered mine from the link I posted above :cool:

Everything this weekend was going so well until I was ready to put the trans back in the car with the new clutch...

I had a TSK-2 kit unfortunately. The TSK-2 throwout bearing does NOT work with our clutch fork. SubaruWRXParts was very nice about the ordeal though and is over-nighting me the correct TSK-3 kit. Hopefully the trans will go back on smoothly and I'll be driving my wagon tomorrow night.

An update:

With the correct TSK, the car went back together very smoothly and I'm about 150 miles into my break in period with the new clutch and FW combo. I LOVE it so far and I'm very happy to have my car back with a non-noisy TOB :)

• 3 weeks later...
Do to situations like yours PDM has altered thier part number system or reference system so you can use your vin number to identify what factory bearing you need and cross reference it with the TSK series sleeves. Just call your local dealer and give them the vin number and ask them what part number the throw-out bearing is. This eliminates confusion and weeds out production date mishaps. Good to hear you are happy with the results so far.

Archived