LegacyGT.com

Official jdm conversion/aftermarket body thread

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure if I mentioned that all popits and bolts touching fiberglass now have rubber washers to protect the glass. Varying sizes for each location.

Oh, and the saga continues. Below are the best pics I could get attempting to show the clear bra I had installed. If you look very closely you can see the seam of where the clear bra ends and the bare paint is. All exposed vertical and horizontal surfaces are covered. After spending all this time and money getting the bumper to where it needed to be, I didn't want it to just end up with a big rock chip in it, so it now having become an investment, so to speak, I needed to protect my investment. lol

Further, I wasn't surprised to learn that an uber-rare JDM bumper wasn't on the list of thousands of pre-programmed cuts in the computer at the clear bra place, so lucky for me they had to do it completely custom to the tune of $450!

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x312/kagenmateer/Suby/2_zps427ea5ac.jpg

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x312/kagenmateer/Suby/1_zpsc2facaaf.jpg

Side note: Albero sent two of the upper (smaller) size mesh pieces and trying to go back through Japan channels to get the right one proved more difficult than sourcing another one stateside. After tons of searching, I ended up getting a tighter mesh for the bottom opening (if you look closely at above pics u can see they're slightly different) so you couldn't see into the bottom opening very well since I don't like FMIC lag and prefer to stay top mount and inside there is ugly.

Might as well total this up for you fellas...

Bare bumper: Got a deal at $1850 shipped and took six months to arrive

Paint (2 rounds): $250

Aluminum filler plates and labor to help with install: About $100

Miscellaneous oddball hardware: About $50

Custom Clear Bra: $450

Total (not including countless hours of my own time): $2700 :eek:

Edited by '06GRPLGT

More notes if you're still listening...

It snows here and I don't want to risk hurting the bumper during storms in the winter months, so it comes off and goes back on seasonally. This is where I resent those of you in nicer climates where it doesn't snow. Anyhoo, it drives my wife crazy that I store it in our theater room during the winter 'cause I gotta protect my boo. lol

Excellent documentation of the process. Would love to get some of those filler plates!

Just lemme know!

Alright JDM crew... Hopefully you can see the forum link below without being a member. This is my build thread on a local motorsport forum. Starting at post #183 is my trials and tribulations for completing the Albero bumper. In there are pictures of filler plates my friend made to fill the gap from the JDM bumper to the USDM fender liners under the car. He says if you ship him a template of your setup and send pics of yours, he can make you some from aluminum for $25 shipped. If yours are exactly like mine, it'd be a little cheaper. Also, if some of you go in together, it'd be cheaper on a group buy kinda thing. If you're someone involved with sourcing and providing JDM bumpers, this could be a good collaboration.

Once he did the hard work making them, the install is SUPER easy. Just popits and done. Hope this can help some LGT friends in need. Would be cool for at least one or two of you to be guinea pigs to try this out to see how him making one for you remotely would go. He's one of those super cool people that is the kinda guy we all wish all sellers/buyers would be like, so I can pretty much promise he'd go out of his way to make it a good experience for you. The price he's offering is pretty low margin for him, so hopefully you might see this as a good opportunity. He's just a fellow Subaguru that likes to help the community.

Here's the link: http://www.idahomotorsports.com/forum/showthread.php?t=54700