LegacyGT.com

New, TurboXS?

05LGTurbo

Hi all, i'm new to the forums, and new to subarus in general. i've done a bit of researching before i decided to make this thread, but still un clear on some things.

i have an 05 Legacy GT with a GReddy catback, and a perrin intake, a Blitz boost controller. It also has a tuned ECU. Upon further investigation, it is a TurboXS piggyback i believe. It is definitely a TurboXS module of some sort.

My questions are; on a rare occasion (it has happened to me 3 times, owning the car for ~1000 miles now), the CEL will flash twice and then stop flashing, seems to be random gear/rpm, but definitely when i'm getting on it. Once was in a 2nd gear pull around 3500 RPMs, and the other 2 times were in 4th gear, once around 4000 RPMs, the other around 5000. I've read that this is the knocklite warning TurboXS has, my question is more so, why is it so random, and is it something to worry about? 3 times in ~1000 miles (I've gotten on it about 10-12 times).

Second question; around red-line the CEL stays solid, but i've read that's TurboXS's shift light, true?

Thirdly; is there a way i can change the Serial connector to a USB or something else? My laptop doesn't have the opposite pronged serial connector.

And lastly; my boost controller (i have not adjusted myself) has read multiple times, 17.0+ psi. highest it has hit is 18.6. (and to eliminate further questions, the CEL incidents from above happen around 14-15 PSI marks). My question here is; should i be hitting 17+ pounds on a essentially stock car? lol. It still has a stock catted up-pipe too, and stock Down-pipe. I've read the top mounts like to pop around the 18 mark. Like i said, I'm new to subarus, so I'm going based off of what I've read.

Thanks in advance for any help!

-Dan

The piggyback is probably a TurboXS UTEC. Their popularity declined as ECU-flashing caught on, but they are very capable devices. The tuner has full control of timing and fueling, and they support map switching (though I think the selector switch is sold separately), and a bunch of cool features. Technically it's a piggyback but realistically it's almost a standalone ECU when it takes over.

17-18 is about as high as I'd go with all of the stock hardware. It's not unreasonable but as you noted you're probably right at the limit of what's reasonable with the stock intercooler.

Knocklight is actually a separate product from TurboXS, which has its own light to flash. But I think the UTEC might be able to flash the CEL when it detects knock, but I'm not entirely sure. You should check http://www.turboxs.com, they might have the UTEC documentation files on the web site somewhere.

USB adapters for serial cables are cheap and plentiful. If you can't find one at a local computer shop, you certainly can on ebay.

Thank you kind sir! pretty much everything I was looking for. I will have to go buy a converter cable and check out what's on there for a tune. I get a random TGV code from time to time on it too. But not when she is started, does it if I let her sit there and idle for ~5 minutes or so.

Thanks again!

-Dan

Archived