LegacyGT.com

Turbo talk/advice

So I need a new turbo.I have a 2005 Subaru Legacy GT and $600 cash and am debating on a stock turbo or a used aftermarket one.If I go aftermarket I was going to swoop up a Cobb tuner also from the PayPal credit line they offer.Can someone lead me in the right direction.Im very new to this stuff and need advice on what to do thanks

• I Donated Too
what has happened where you need a new turbo... please tell us how the original turbo failed. There may be much more to this than just replacing the turbo I am afraid to tell you. Not news you may want to hear but... lets start with you letting us know how the other turbo failed and hope you got to it before anything happened, maybe you found a wobbly shaft?

I'd avoid driving the car for the time being but it's good news that the turbo hasn't failed yet. It will if you keep driving it though. The danger sigmafour was alluding to is that when the turbo fails small metal fragments typically enter the oil system and it's quite common for that to take out the entire engine as well. Having all that done at a shop will cost you about as much as a whole other used Legacy GT (not an exaggeration).

You should be able to have your original turbo rebuilt. I purchased a used turbo and had Mike at Tuning Alliance rebuild it for a very fair price. You'd have to ship it there and wait for it to come back. Obviously you can't really drive your car the way it is now regardless but the sooner you get the turbo rebuilt the sooner you're on the road again. Perhaps there's a good local place to you who can rebuild the turbo?

If you tell us what area you're in, maybe someone will suggest a good place.

I'm in a auto class so I'm able to install it there as I have access to anything I could possibly need.This really stinks since I just got done installing a fresh clutch maybe 1500 miles ago so I havnt even had it back to long.Im located in the Bay Area if anyone has any suggestions.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/322440071723

Any thoughts on this?

Better to go with someone you know or that has been recommended to you. A lot of resellers use cheap Chinese parts, you don't want that anywhere near your engine. Either rebuild your existing turbo, or work out a deal where you get an already rebuilt turbo from the rebuilder in exchange for your old turbo.

Clutch 1500 miles ago...to bad you didn't think to check the turbo for shaft play.

That should always be done any time the down pipe is off .

Send your turbo to Mike of TA or JmP. Mike happens to be one of the best Tuners for these cars. He's someone your going to want to know.

Another trusted member near you www.infamousperformance.net, aka m sprank on here.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Update:

While searching Craigslist I found a low mileage stock vf40.Has about 50k miles on it.Owner said he swapped to a vf52 and didn't need it anymore so I picked it up.It seems like a solid turbo with zero shaft play.Going to throw it on to see how it is tommorow.

If you can replace the oil return hose at the same time.

Be careful trying to slip the turbo inlet into the intake hose, they can tare the rubber very easy.

Remember to use anti-seize compound on all the threads.

We also recommend replacing the up pipe with a catless one.

Make sure you put the small vacuum hose with the boost pill on the right side. The hose has a white line around it.

this may help,

http://people.csail.mit.edu/ilh/vacation/

In the back there is a section that show's how the systems flow.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

It's a good idea to use fresh gaskets when you take apart the exhaust system, otherwise you tend to get leaks. Use OEM gaskets or the Grimmspeed gaskets. Gaskets should be multi-layer-steel type with an embossed fire ring. Penetrating oil such as Kroil or PB Blaster will help you take apart the bolted connections without too much trouble. Helps to apply penetrating oil several hours before or even overnight.

Clutch 1500 miles ago...to bad you didn't think to check the turbo for shaft play.

That should always be done any time the down pipe is off .

Send your turbo to Mike of TA or JmP. Mike happens to be one of the best Tuners for these cars. He's someone your going to want to know.

Another trusted member near you www.infamousperformance.net, aka m sprank on here.

My tranny got dropped so my down pipe didn't come off enough to check turbo :(

Archived