LegacyGT.com

Is the next gen two years away?

CombatCQB

I've been wondering if the Legacy/Outback redesign wasn't a year out, as well - what with the new Impreza for 2012, the BRZ for 2013, the new Forester for 2014, and the new WRX for 2015, Subaru seems to be preferring to do one release per model year... which would put the Legacy/Outback in 2016, letting the cycle repeat in 2017...

I would think they'd again go for a two-fer. Forester in '09 and Outback in '10 earned SUV of the year, then Forester did it again for '14, so they really should go for a repeat on the Outback for '15, then a newer, bigger, better Tribeca for '16 to complete the collection.

In a way it may make sense to get in the Outback upgrade next year, and they did do a "sneak" start here with the CVT on the diesel, and to some extent that was more interesting than the new Forester. It may also be a dual presentation of two models the same year in the future.

On the Outback I would expect the Eyesight, X-mode from the Forester and the Hill Descent Control - it is after all the big brother to the Forester.

What was a bit disappointing with the CVT on the Outback was that it didn't have a VTD gearbox, just the Active Torque Split.

453747.png

• 2 months later...

After seeing the concept in December and this article saying a fall 2014 launch and early 2015 sale:

http://www.thenextcars.com/2015-subaru-legacy-release-date-changes-and-price_1178.html

And now, the 2015 Subaru Legacy release date has been leaked. The new model is scheduled to be released in late 2014 and will go on sale in U.S. dealerships in early 2015.

Looks like I'll be considering the current outback as a new family car. Or jump over to either the forester or Mazda CX-5.

I'm not sure i'm loving that concept. I like it better than the current legacy which IMHO seems boring to me. I just payed off my used 2005 LGT and the thought crossed my mind about when they would be releasing a new gen. I could wait a year.. :)

The Chicago Auto Show is Feb 8 - 17th... it is the closest major show to the Lafayette, IN assembly plant. I have a gut feeling that we may see something then. Am hoping anyway. Got a real itch to buy a new car an would really like to the next gen.

I still love my 05, but I wouldn't paint myself into a corner by saying nothing else will compare. The 14 Forester XT has decent lines and it might even take the same front rotors as the GT. (both 12.4")

I hope we hear more at the Chicago show.

I wonder if world safety/emission standards are so different, that a worldwide release would be impossible? Considering how Subaru loves to challenge safety, can somebody explain to me why that's vaguely im/possible?

As I see it - the leading emissions regulations are both the European and the US regulations. At the core they are similar, and looking at them from a distance you can't see any difference. In the details they differ, and it's just small differences that are there more in place to prevent free trade between Europe and the US than anything else.

So unless the politicians gets their heads out of the a$$ess and stop studying their tonsils from behind nothing will happen.

453747.png

Archived