LegacyGT.com

Radiator hose collapsed when engine cold, is this normal?

this happened to my GT before i drained and refilled the coolant. it does not collapse any more and it does pull fluid from the overflow tank. I suspect that when the engine and system is cold, things contract causing vaccum in the system- this vaccum should be pulling fluid from the overflow tank and into the system to fill all the voids. atleast this is what mine is doing.... my coolant temps while logging and doing WOT pulls, in 85+ degree weather..the temps never get above 205-207.

Bleed air out of the system and test the caps.
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

My '08 did this as well. I posted some shots here and was told not to worry about it. That was 67k and two coolant flushes ago. Never replaced or tested my caps. Never saw it after the first 2-3k in the clock. Upper hose looks completely flat so I understand the concern.

• 6 years later...

Apologies for reviving an old thread, but these posts have been very helpful to me.

My upper & lower radiator hoses were also collapsing on a 07 LGT.

When I finally noticed that the reservoir overflowed, following a top-off, I decided to search the forums.

Turns out I had (2) suction caps.

An aftermarket 16psi on the Surge Tank and a factory 108kpa on the radiator.

After much confusion (at Subaru Parts Counter) I found out;

Surge Tank should have a 108kpa [16psi] suction cap.

Radiator should have a 137kpa [20lb] pressure-only cap.

Not sure either cap was defective but having (2) identical caps was obviously bad.

Installed new factory caps of each and all is good.

Hoping this info is helpful to someone else.

Archived