LegacyGT.com

Ya gotta love dealers

I had my 2008 LGT into my local Subaru dealer for the airbag recall services. It was free of course, but they checked out the car and said it was all good, except for the oil leaking from the head gaskets. That was news to me. I had it at Cobb Surgeline just 6k before and they said I just had a very minor leak on the turbo oil return. And I sure hadn't noticed anything in the meantime. So I get it home and get under it and sure enough there is nothing on the head gaskets, but there is a leak from the turbo oil return. $3400 for head gaskets? YIKES.

This is why I haven't had any work done at a dealer(or anywhere) since 2003. If I ever do need anything, it will be Cobb for sure, and not the dealer.

the skills/abilities of tech at dealers range widely. you have no idea if a greenhorn tech looked at your car and made an erroneous judgement. this is why, if you want to use a dealer, to get to know the master tech there and then request that only he/she work on your car. Sames goes for any local repair facility.

You have to understand the Dealer has a big "overhead charge" that you must help pay for.

Personally I also have my work done by my local trusted mechanic.

For other reading this, I use the same place my Dad used, my son also goes there for things he's rather not deal with. Can't tell you how many times I've had small jobs done there for free over the years.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

the skills/abilities of tech at dealers range widely. you have no idea if a greenhorn tech looked at your car and made an erroneous judgement. this is why, if you want to use a dealer, to get to know the master tech there and then request that only he/she work on your car. Sames goes for any local repair facility.

I moved away from Carr Subaru in Beaverton where Master Tech Danny Squires has been there forever and is the man.

I'm no mechanic so i have no real knowledge on the prices or issues, but according to the paperwork from MY previous owner it appears they paid right around $3400 for headgasket, timing belt, and water pump in 2015. So the price they quoted you could be normal for a shop/dealer but yeah... it's an insane amount of money for a vehicle of our age.

$3,400 woah woah woah hold on if I’m spending that in my car I’d rather sell it, maybe that’s why the previous owner of mine sell it at cheaper price cause might worried about the amount of money for repairs. I’m happy to join this forum which I did on my previous cars as I know it is more resourceful to know and share what are those experience encountered by owners like me, I know some of us are Mechanics mostly DIY, Personally I’ll go to the dealer for recalls or if I don’t find any cure on my car anymore.

I have Surgeline do all my work regardless of OEM maintenance or performance work. Their labor rate is slightly cheaper than stealerships as well. Maybe just stick with them...

Cobb quoted me $360 for a turbo swap(to get the oil return gasket underneath). Definitely better than I expected. But they can have quite a back log sometimes.

Yup, I hear you, they do great work so everyone goes to them. You will have to wait but its worth it :) I try to plan my upgrades and/or maintenance weeks in advance so I can get on their schedule. Unfortunately when something comes up and needs to be addressed immediately your kinda chapped. I know this because I spun a rod bearing the first week of Oct. while my daily driver, ('08 Outback XT 5MT), was on their dyno getting off my OTS stg. 2 Accessport tune for a Dyno tune. They were/are so slammed right now, still don't have the car back, hope to get it in the next two weeks.

Surgeline is great! Took my car there thought the turbo was acting up. They ran a smoke test and said everything was fine and it was making full stock boost. Only charged me for 1/2 hour even though they made it clear at the beginning it's a 1 hour minimum rate! They got my future business.

Archived