LegacyGT.com

Cigarette Lighter Socket Info (FYI)

While perusing my '98 Legacy owner's manual, I was curious to see a warning about not using the cigarette lighter socket (bottom center dashboard, in front of the transmission shifter) as an 'accessory power outlet.' News to me since I had used it many times to charge a cell phone, GPS, etc.

Here is an explanation from a Subaru Insider Info tech release:

"In-Dash Cigarette Lighter Usage

Some Subaru owner’s manuals state that the in-dash cigarette lighter cannot be used as an accessory power outlet. Fuji Heavy Industries included the statement in the manuals in the interest of customer safety.

If the in-dash lighter receptacle is ever used for a plug-in accessory such as a cel- lular phone, the portion of the recepta- cle’s internal mechanism (bi-metal) that causes a cigarette lighter plug to ‘pop out’ after its lighter element is heated may be damaged. Placing a lighter plug in a receptacle that has been damaged by a plug-in accessory may cause the plug to stick and overheat, which may in some cases cause a fire in the receptacle that can spread to surrounding areas.

In the interest of customer satisfac- tion, Fuji Heavy Industries has agreed to change subsequent owner’s manuals to allow the use of the in-dash receptacle as an accessory plug, but only if it is not also used as a cigarette lighter.

Note: The cigarette lighter receptacle can be used as a cigarette lighter or an acces- sory plug, but cannot be used as a ciga- rette lighter and an accessory plug. If the lighter socket is used even once for an accessory plug-in item, then it must never be used to operate the cigarette lighter element. The entire socket must be replaced with a genuine Subaru ciga- rette lighter element if the customer ever wants to use it as a cigarette lighter again."

Here is the link to the release:

http://www.northursalia.com/techdocs/pdf/electrical/socket.pdf

Thanks to Oesi for the reference.

Or you can just do what I do & deal with the warped socket by pushing the lighter slightly to the side & hold it there to heat it up since it will never stick or get stuck. I don't smoke but one of my passengers get really antsy if she cannot smoke.

Archived