LegacyGT.com

steering wheel adjustment?

lowwill

I believe the way to correctly center the wheel a small amount is to do it with the tie rods. Adjust each side the same number of turns to move both wheels to point in the same direction the steering wheel is pointed (this won't change the toe of the wheels in respect to one another). Then when you center the steering wheel it brings the car wheels back to the straight ahead direction. I think removing the steering wheel and moving one spline on the column might be too much of a change for some cases.
It is still ugly.

You can also do it from the flex joint where it goes into the steering rack under the car. If you loosen the pinch bolt on the splined flex coupling it should slide up enough to rotate it one spline. I can't remember if you need to loosen the three bolts on the stearing rack or not. I don't believe you have to, but it makes it easier.

Mine's like a 1/2 notch off. From changing stock vinyl wheel to a wrx leather one. Thankfully, it's in the direction to where when I drive down an angled road (which is most everywhere) it's pretty much straight on.

But, yeah if I ever need a real alignment it'll def be taken outta the tie rods.

Archived