LegacyGT.com

Manual Boost Controller Install

• 8 months later...
I'm trying to take my EBC off and return it to stock....( so i can bring it in to the shop for some warranty )...but i dont remember how the stock hoses are...ne good pictures out there?..that link above shows some but not clearly..

• 2 months later...
My friend ran one of these pretty successfully on his mazspeed mx5, so I am curious as to how well this will work on the Legacygt. One way to find out. Ebay here I come! :) The way I see it I should just use reservation when doing this. For exampl once I find the max psi with no detonation while driving I should lower it 1/4 just to be safe. Ehh.. i probably just let my friend do it for me :)

• 3 years later...

You'll blow the motor before running out of fuel.

Bear in mind that putting on an MBC is tuning. If you are ready to start tuning. Start logging, start studying your logs, and turn up the boost bit-by-bit until the engine starts detonating, then turn it down a tad.

If you're not ready to do that work, pay someone else to do it, or don't get an MBC.

• 9 months later...
My MBC in the mail on the way (hallman MBC) im already pro tuned for a catless 3" turbo back erz dp and cxlighting cbe, IPR top mount, CObb sf intake, avo tb hose. those are my exhaust and intake mods. i have clutch and transmission work as well as some other goodies. my boost solenoid sh*t the bed so i am going MBC as recommended by a friend/tuner and ive used them on previous cars. my question is do you guys think i can install this myself and run it until i can get another tune and look at how my car is running as my cable is out of commission until i can get a windows laptop. i know im set for 18 psi on my vf40 to about 5500 then taper to 14-15 by redline on stock injectors, and 08 sti FP. if i put the controller in and run 18 should i be ok until i can get a tune in a couple weeks? good link too. pln on using that as reference when i install mine

I suggest just running a hose from the nipple on the compressor directly to the wastegate actuator.

That's partly because with an MBC set to 18psi peak, you might end up with much more than 14-15psi at redline. And it's partly because you will end up spooling quicker with the MBC, especially in higher gears, and that would mean running in a fueling and timing region that your tuner never tested.

It might work just fine, it might not - I suggest playing it safe until you can get it properly tuned.

Off-site link, but it should be included here.

http://jsalmi.com/car/boostcontroller/

I upped my boost from 12.5 psi to 17 psi with no ill effects. The ECU does well at managing the Air/Fuel ratio, and the additional 4-5 psi does not cause it to take any 'self preservation' measures.

So, now that it's been five years... :)

How long did you run with that setup? Did your motor survive?

Archived