LegacyGT.com

Airbag light...sometimes. Console problem?

My Brother directed me to this thread...glad he did.

My cluster indicator has been going on and off for the better part of a year. I tried dicking around with the connectors under the seats, but no luck.

I'll definitely be trying this.

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
Im pretty sure my car is doing the same thing everyone elses is doing. I tried to the solder now the on air bag light works but the light that says "passenger airbag" doesn't come in? Should I re solder it see if it helps

do you mean the light completely off?

Yea sorry. Anyway yea I had to solder all the points to get it to work, but none the less its working since this last weekend and no problems. I think everyone should try this first before they try anything else. Thanks everyone's comment's helped alot.

• 2 weeks later...
Did this and the passsenger on/off light is back....but the dash red airbag is still there. Do I have to unplug the black battery cable for a reset??

Did you do all the solder points and did you do a decent job to make sure the solder got in all the nooks and crannies? If yes, passenger harness most likely.

Did you do all the solder points and did you do a decent job to make sure the solder got in all the nooks and crannies? If yes, passenger harness most likely.

I gave it to one of my customers. He does electronic like this for a living. He knew what kind and how to do it. Everything looks good and the passenger air bag lights is back on the console. What about the harness? I checked all the plugs under passenger seat and everything is plugged in.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...
Trying to revive this thread. My airbag light is on ONLY in console. In overhead maplight it all seems to be working just fine. I unplugged and re-plugged all connectors under driver seat. What seems to be the culprit? Should I try 511 fix even if maplight light works just fine?

Trying to revive this thread. My airbag light is on ONLY in console. In overhead maplight it all seems to be working just fine. I unplugged and re-plugged all connectors under driver seat. What seems to be the culprit? Should I try 511 fix even if maplight light works just fine?

Certainly couldn't hurt.

• 3 weeks later...
I had the dash airbag light come only from time to time only. Turns out it was the steering wheel harness that was the problem and had to be replaced.

Man the causes of this problem are so varied it seems. I hope that was fixed under warranty :redface:

• 1 month later...

Hit a deer earlier this year. Not terrible damage, but it did look like a sack of rocks fell on the hood from 30 feet.

Now I have: the infamous HVAC/stereo faceplate problem, and most recently, the airbag light in the console.

Thanks to everyone who reported their findings/progress here, you are a big help in keeping me sane.

I just desoldered mine today after having the light on for about a year. BAM FIXED!!

http://i1301.photobucket.com/albums/ag113/shabbasi/photo1_zpsdab9f770.jpg

Here are the 6 points I resoldered

http://i1301.photobucket.com/albums/ag113/shabbasi/photo2copy_zps846b2a71.jpg

My crummy solder job that got the job done

http://i1301.photobucket.com/albums/ag113/shabbasi/photo3_zps86ef02b9.jpg

Big Thanks to Crazy_Pilot!!!!

Edited by legacyshawn

Ha, awesome pics. You beat me to it. I literally just did this fix 15 minutes ago. Took it out for a quick test ride to make sure the airbag light problem and the winter wheels are all good. Yes !! Thanks again to this forum !! Love it.

• 2 weeks later...
Interesting. While visiting family for Thanksgiving I noticed my father's 08 LGT has the same airbag light problem. Sometimes tapping on the console will cause the led's to flicker. Seems to be one of those, it's just a matter of time things.

Last week I got the red airbag light twice, both under the same circumstances. Below freezing temps, drove to class with no warnings, 6 hours later I drive home and it comes on for the first time. 2 hours later I go out and the light has disappeared.

The same thing happened the next day, no airbag light in the morning but it came on that afternoon. Hasn't reared it's head since! Mind you this isn't the passenger airbag light, it's the red "AIRBAG" warning light in the gauges.

Sent from a box in my pocket.

Ive been having my problems come when its cold too. now it has to with the passenger air bag console. Airbag light will come on, on the dash at the same time that happens I look up at my map light and one of the lights is off where should be like if it says on/ passenger light/ off in that order. Well depending if there is someone sitting there. Anyways I tried re soldering all the points awhile back started again when it reaches below 32 degress. Took out map light console once more resolderd everything and it works now but still have issues with middle light coming on but now my airbag on my dash is not on. This problem is very annoying but im thinking about finding a new chip that I have to keep soldering.

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to say thanks to those who figured this out! Just had to do this on my 2008 Outback XT. Took out the overhead console, resoldered all of the pads, and voila! No more red airbag light.

Now that I think about it, I'm not sure I remember seeing the passenger airbag light at all before...

Ok i thought this what my issue but im having no luck. Here is my issue.

No matter what.

The air bag light is on in the cluster

The airbag light says off for the passenger

and the passenger belt chimes and the light also blinks while chimming like it always does.

I could not locate this so called tpm plug yet. Here are so pics

Nvm. Tapatalk blows ******* shit when ever i try to uplaod. **** you Tapatalk get your shit together.

I have a 26 hour drive on the 4th and im not listening to this ******* chime the whole time. ****.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

I bought my 08 Legacy yesterday, and have this light on too. Light wasn't on yesterday that I noticed, but now it is (notably cold today.)

Went to the autozone for their OBD-II, before googling up this thread. Clearly nothing came of the OBD scan.

-->My question is, how superficial is this light?

--Is it merely a red light wasting some watts, or is it going to affect my airbags in an accident?

How many different solutions could I perform before truly fixing the light? This seems like it should become a write-up thread somehow, on each of the ways the light can be set off, the

There are widespread occurrences of this problem- http://www.arfc.org/complaints/2006/subaru/legacy/10512662.aspx

http://www.carcomplaints.com/Subaru/Legacy/2006/seat_belts_air_bags/air_bags.shtml

Lastly, from the article, what FAULT may this be? --- Subaru of America, Inc. had a problem with AIR BAGS . THE PASSENGER AIRBAG STATUS LIGHT IS INTERMITTENT. IN COLD WEATHER, IT DOES NOT WORK, "GENERATING AN AIRBAG FAULT." THE PROBLEM IS POOR SOLDER IN PART #84621AG41A. OTHERS HAVE EXPERIENCED THE SAME PROBLEM. ----> http://car-and-safety.com/subaru-legacy-safety/subaru-legacy-2006.htm

Ok i thought this what my issue but im having no luck. Here is my issue.

No matter what.

The air bag light is on in the cluster

The airbag light says off for the passenger

and the passenger belt chimes and the light also blinks while chimming like it always does.

I could not locate this so called tpm plug yet. Here are so pics

Nvm. Tapatalk blows ******* shit when ever i try to uplaod. **** you Tapatalk get your shit together.

I have a 26 hour drive on the 4th and im not listening to this ******* chime the whole time. ****.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

I bought my 08 Legacy yesterday, and have this light on too. Light wasn't on yesterday that I noticed, but now it is (notably cold today.)

Went to the autozone for their OBD-II, before googling up this thread. Clearly nothing came of the OBD scan.

-->My question is, how superficial is this light?

--Is it merely a red light wasting some watts, or is it going to affect my airbags in an accident?

How many different solutions could I perform before truly fixing the light? This seems like it should become a write-up thread somehow, on each of the ways the light can be set off, the

There are widespread occurrences of this problem- http://www.arfc.org/complaints/2006/subaru/legacy/10512662.aspx

http://www.carcomplaints.com/Subaru/Legacy/2006/seat_belts_air_bags/air_bags.shtml

Lastly, from the article, what FAULT may this be? --- Subaru of America, Inc. had a problem with AIR BAGS . THE PASSENGER AIRBAG STATUS LIGHT IS INTERMITTENT. IN COLD WEATHER, IT DOES NOT WORK, "GENERATING AN AIRBAG FAULT." THE PROBLEM IS POOR SOLDER IN PART #84621AG41A. OTHERS HAVE EXPERIENCED THE SAME PROBLEM. ----> http://car-and-safety.com/subaru-legacy-safety/subaru-legacy-2006.htm

Ok..guys....search the forum for air bag light. It's got something to do I with a compactor inside of your overhead box (where sunroof switch is) having a crapy soldering job done. You need to sure up the solder some more.