LegacyGT.com

where are the subie commercials?

i love my gt ltd just like everyone else. but if subaru wanted to sell more legacies, they should have commercials that promote the legacy's strengths. the auto ads that include the subie "faster than a porsche, corners like...." are great but suabru should have followed with commercials like the the 3.5 maximas, new new 350i, and bmw's. after the lance armstrong commercials, i hadn't seen any more commercials. if you think about, not many people know about our cool cars. while being unique is cool, you don't want to go out of business either.

well, the market for suv's & minivans is much bigger than for sports cars so that's what they pitch. That's also most likely what they sell the most of, foresters & tribecas. Judging from the amount of those I see on the lots vs lgt's or wrx's I'd say that's pretty my right on. I would like to see some better commercials, but I like that you dont see lgt's everywhere you go like you do with accords & civics.
"Barack Obama, mothaf#%@a! Barack Obama! I'm the president...of hittin' the ass!" -this is not a political view it's merely a quote from a hilarious tv show.

BTW,

The LL Bean edition sedan is the Outback sedan, not the Legacy Sedan. The OB LLB sedan is taller, Auto only, and has a 3.0R H6, which is not available in the Legacy at all...

I have seen a lot of outback comercials along with the one "Dust in the Wind" Tribeca commercial.

Why are they having to advertize the outback?... It outsells the Legacy and Tribeca by a noticeable margin... People see Outbacks all over.

I can see why they don't advertize WRXs. The people who want them... already know about them.

My question is, why have they only had one Legacy commercial (and never a Legacy wagon) which doesn't play anymore. Not that it emphasized the Legacy GT's performance anyway...

The Legacy seems to be the low-seller, why not advertize it? And push it as an affordable upmarket sedan, available with some serious performance?

I like the fact that the Legacy isn't advertised. I've had my Legacy for about 2 months, and countless people have asked me "what kind of car is that?"

Personally, I would hate to see the Legacy become a mainstream seller.

My curiosity is what the difference is between OB sales in North America and other market countrys.

I'm willing to bet that OB sales are to Legacy sales in North America as Legacy sales are the opposite to OB sales in other market countrys.

My dogfood budget is bigger than the SOA Legacy advertising budget.

I can understand people not wanting to Legacy to become mainstream because then everybody will be driving one.

But it's current Legacy sales figures that dictate how much R&D and cool performance features go into the next generation of Legacy.

I don't think there is a chance in hell that the Legacy will ever be the next camry or accord, in terms of sales numbers, or blandness.

But a little boost in the marketing department might be helpful. Subaru needs to realize that the Legacy, especially the GT, is not a de-contented Outback.

It is a sporty AWD car as much, or possibly slightly moreso than the Impreza and WRX.

It seems like the Legacy in the US is treated by SOA like the Outback's uncool parent, just kept around for nostalgia, and it's token sales. That may have been true with the last generation of legacy. The new Legacy is FAST and good looking.

There is a demarcation line within the Subaru models. Sporty or Outdoorsy. Both are AWD, and the sporty cars can rally offroad, and the outdoorsy cars, especially the OBXT are pretty fast on the street, so there is obviously a familial relationship...

Outback models, Tribeca, and Forester are outdoorsy all-road type vehicles. Some are marketed with LLBean, which is an outdoorsy organization, as well...

Impreza RS, WRX, and WRX STI are sportier. (lower Impreza models go toward economy... but that is understood.)

The question is: How does SOA view the Legacy? Is it in the former or the latter category?

We know that the Legacy, especially the GT, belongs in the Sporty category. The 2.5i lineup might go toward economy like the NA Imprezas, as well... but we know that the Legacy is more than just the plain-jane regular-height alternative to the Outback.

The Legacy deserves it's own limelight, along side the Outback, Tribeca, and WRX. not stuck in the background like the Baja.

(the Baja should be allowed to drive off into the sunset, anyway. Free up those resources for expanding current lines, rather than maintaining an old, otherwise EOL chassis.)

I agree with IWSS... And think that the lack of push for Legacies in the US market stems from the 'great outdoorsy" feel allure that is glamorised in the US.

I still want to know how Legacy sales compare over seas to the US.

I don't think that the Legacy is an afterthought in Japan and OZ..looks more like their bread and butter...in Japan especially....

I think the OB (especially the wagon) has traditionally been a great seller for SOA. It filled a gap where soccer moms (and certainly other folks!) could get a bigger car without being forced to go with a minivan or SUV. The 'great outdoors' type found home with it too. Add to it a moniker like LL Bean, well, you then entice another crowd as well.

Before the current LGT came out, Legacies were viewed as the uncool parent of the OB. Most people who got them weren't interested in the OB, be it for the additional ride height, its Crocodile Dundee feel or even the price. Add to that, the older LGT's here weren't exactly pavement shredders. (I'm not trying to diss anyone who's bought one; just stating that the current Legacy is not like the Legacies of old)

Now we have the current Legacy GT which is getting an identity of its own. I think SOA is adjusting to who exactly is buying them (the performance crowd). Trust me, with the sales figures of the LGT sedan, you'd have to be a fool to not notice. Without the success of the WRX (changing Subaru into more of a performance player here), I doubt we would have gotten somethig like the LGT.

I think SOA needed to make sure the Tribeca would come out of the gate a winner. Thus, a good portion of the marketing thump went into the Tribeca. SOA probably needed to pursuade/prove to SOJ that this is a market segment SOA needed to play in. Think about it: Anyone who needed something bigger than an OB/LG wagon had to move off-brand. Why work hard to garner a following and then force them to go away because you can't play in a market segment? AFAIK, 'beca is the first Subaru designed with the US market in mind. While we talk about TV ads (and the lack of more and different TV ads), we have to remember there are a lot of print ads in magazines, plus flyers, plus dog and pony shows that come out of the marketing budget.

I hope no one got me wrong earlier. I have no problem with Subaru's outdoorsy lineup.

If that appeals to people, Subaru should go after it. I admire the fact that they went after a car for that market when everyone else is building trucks. (SUVs are trucks... at least they were when the outback came on-scene)

Ford's Freestyle (a 500 wagon), Volvo's XC70 (taller V70), and Audi's Allroad (A6 Avant) are all in Outback's shadow, AFAIC.

I hope the Tribeca sells. I don't particularly like the name, nor the look (but the climate control knobs are cooler than the LGT's display, and should be incorporated, separately from the stereo ... Hopefully it's behavior is better too) I wouldn't buy one, but I hope they do well for Subaru.

I just hope that now that the Tribeca has been out for a few months, and is gaining market awareness, that they don't ignore the other side of their lineup.

The Sporty Street cars need love from SOA/FHI too.

The Impreza is getting redesigned... Hopefully done very well, and not like the B5 concept, or at least a MAJOR improvement over that. I do hope that the new impreza is a knockout, technically and aesthetically, in three bodystyles, hatchback Coupe, Sedan and Sport Wagon (look at the mitsu sport hatch 5-door concept that is paired with the new EVO X concept... Subaru had better be on their game.)

I just hope they are putting their toe back in the Legacy pool with the GT and Spec B, and find the water to be nice. Personally, if they don't, I think it will be because of short-sighted decisions, and lack of marketing push on the part of USDM Legacy product planning that will be the reason, not the marketplace, who largely don't know much about the Legacy GT. I certainly have to explain it every time I mention it to someone in car conversations... That is not much brand awareness. Contrasting it to the Legacy in other countries like Japan and Austrailia is almost like night and day.

I still think a lithe new SVX on the Legacy GT platform with a Turbo or H6 (or both), MT, and AWD standard would be a logical next step. You can see my ideas about a new SVX in other posts from me in other threads...

Since Subaru is pushing for more unit sales in the US, it needs to look past the snout on the new Tribeca, and promote ALL of it's good cars. The LGT is too important to be ignored the way it seems to be currently.

I think the OB (especially the wagon) has traditionally been a great seller for SOA. It filled a gap where soccer moms (and certainly other folks!) could get a bigger car without being forced to go with a minivan or SUV. The 'great outdoors' type found home with it too. Add to it a moniker like LL Bean, well, you then entice another crowd as well.

Before the current LGT came out, Legacies were viewed as the uncool parent of the OB. Most people who got them weren't interested in the OB, be it for the additional ride height, its Crocodile Dundee feel or even the price. Add to that, the older LGT's here weren't exactly pavement shredders. (I'm not trying to diss anyone who's bought one; just stating that the current Legacy is not like the Legacies of old)

Now we have the current Legacy GT which is getting an identity of its own. I think SOA is adjusting to who exactly is buying them (the performance crowd). Trust me, with the sales figures of the LGT sedan, you'd have to be a fool to not notice. Without the success of the WRX (changing Subaru into more of a performance player here), I doubt we would have gotten somethig like the LGT.

I think SOA needed to make sure the Tribeca would come out of the gate a winner. Thus, a good portion of the marketing thump went into the Tribeca. SOA probably needed to pursuade/prove to SOJ that this is a market segment SOA needed to play in. Think about it: Anyone who needed something bigger than an OB/LG wagon had to move off-brand. Why work hard to garner a following and then force them to go away because you can't play in a market segment? AFAIK, 'beca is the first Subaru designed with the US market in mind. While we talk about TV ads (and the lack of more and different TV ads), we have to remember there are a lot of print ads in magazines, plus flyers, plus dog and pony shows that come out of the marketing budget.

i agree but the majority of commercials that were out(before the b9) when the legacy gt just came out still was never impressive. with the power and price you get with a leg, there was never a push to really show the car's strengths.

i drove a legy 2.5i today and it was guttless. SOA should hire a new marketing firm.. they need to spend money to make money.. it seems they lost track of that idea. I love the deer commercial tho. and they really need to start advertising the tribeca a lot more. how bout advertising the Sedan Outback. when i bought my first subie (03 wrx) everyone i knew asked "a subaru wtf" until they rode in it. fit and finish i have to put it up there with a lot of higher priced cars that i have owned. the car is solid. and after 3 years of beating on it. the interrior still doesnt rattle (mitsubishi mazda). now that i bought a legacy... i think its put together 10x's better then my wrx. you shut the door and it sounds solid.. my boss just bought a 03' z06 vette and it sounds like a neon when you close the door...

I like the fact that the Legacy isn't advertised. I've had my Legacy for about 2 months, and countless people have asked me "what kind of car is that?"

Personally, I would hate to see the Legacy become a mainstream seller.

it's not about making into the mainstream. it's about making good enough sales to continue the car line...subaru wouldn't even consider making "gains" on a evolving legacy if there was no money to back it up. i like the fact that people still come up to me to ask me what kind of car i drive. but if sales aren't up to par, the car will never be able to progress if it had little $$$ to back it up. if there isn't much of a demand, the supply of new cars will eventually diminish.

Subaru has a new agency, DDB Needham. The past year has been transitional as they migrated from TM Advertising. Personally, I haven't been impressed with DDB Needham as an end user. Usually an Agency provides the broad sweep of major campaigns and lots of collateral for various supporting agencies and also the dealer network. DDB Needham has done very little of the latter. I still can't get a media kit or photos of the 2006 Forester--the grill is different from the '05s. Very frustrating from my end.

I think we're underestimating the power of Word of mouth too.

Small example..

In my home town there is a little record shop, one room, been around for longer than

I remember, but it's always been profitable, and always done steady business, even in times of economic hardship. Why? Word of mouth. This place has been doing business now for well over my 30 years, all on word of mouth. The owner was telling me that he commonly asks people how they hear of the store, and it's always, "so and so at the show said this was a good shop".. In the past 10 years there have been approx 3 major chain record stores come, and gone in this area.. and none of them ever stay running.. why? Earps has the market cornered.. all, On word of mouth.

This I feel is currently the Legacys stregth, Subaru doesn't have issues with Brand Loyalty like other Manufactureres do, hence why they need all the fancy schmancy ad's with mega stars pedaling their wares. We all saw that JDM Bruce Willis ad, and how many people thought "wow does that seem un-subaru?" Because to me it did.

I don't imagine Subaru needing that sort of advertisment to sell thir cars.. mostly because the cars speak for themsleves as do their owners. :)

Also consider, we already own Subarus, are fairly loyal, so there is no need to keep enticing us.. I know they don't need to advertise to me, in me they have a customer for life so wasting ad dollars on me is pointless. Best I can do, is talk up my car to every/anyone that will listen. And trust me, anyone who rides in my car always says the same thing.. "Wow, this is really nice" and I only have an L-SE. Not one person ever rode in my car who wasn't impressed when that ride was over.

Anyways.. I think maybe Suby's ad firm might be scoping out other markets that need attention. The USDM market is small, this has been proven, however we're loyal, and love our cars and tlak them up more thn most people do.. (My Boss drives an '06-A6 and I never hear him talk about it.. it's a totaly sweet ride too..I wouldn't shut up about it if I had one..)

We suby owners are simply a different breed, and I guess Subaru's people know who their market is.. In fact, Idare say they are more in touch with their segment of buyers than most car companies.. :)

• 2 weeks later...

We suby owners are simply a different breed, and I guess Subaru's people know who their market is.. In fact, Idare say they are more in touch with their segment of buyers than most car companies.. :)

What a loyal customer you are, wish you were mine! I'm sure you are a Williams of East Lansing Fan. :icon_bigg I loved Subarus so much and wouldn't shut up about them that I ended up selling them after people accused me of it. I wonder how many people check out Subarus on your recommendation?

A great read is the Tipping Point by Malcolm Gladwell. Talks all about word of mouth and how small changes can make big waves in the long run.

I got my Suby from Delta Imports / Fox / East Imports in Grand rapids.

I moved to Lansing and had only been taking my car for some minor service and parts pick up at Williams thus far. John Belen is the service rep there and he's done a good job supporting someone who didn't even get their car at their dealer. Their parts guys are knowledgable and Kurt the main mechanic was very nice and no-bs. Overall, I would buy a car from williams when in the market again..but I'll surely look you up if and when.

Always looking for more MI members! Where you at? What dealer?

They're pushing the Legacy in their "Gay" print advertising:

http://www.commercialcloset.org/images/data/COMCLOSET_PICS/picture/10436.JPG

http://www.commercialcloset.org/images/data/COMCLOSET_PICS/picture/10132.JPG

Moon City Productions has been doing Subaru's "Gay" advertising

They've recently done three commercials for the Viacom's 24-hour gay channel "LOGO" and those ads are also expected to run on Bravo, HGTV and Sundance Channel, but none of those feature the Legacy.

Archived