LegacyGT.com

Transmission (Auto) dipstick stuck, need suggestions ASAP.

1997 GT Wagon 2.5L NA

Getting ready to head out for a long trip. I know my tranny fluid is low because some dribbled out when I was swapping out the old radiator with a newer high capacity one.

BUT I go to pull the dip stick out tonight...and nothing. Doesn't budge. Long story short...not even vice grips get it off, just a little rotation.

I search the site for answers but didn't get anything (although search gave me very broad results).

I need this done ASAP. Getting to do a trip that'll put 7000 miles in 14 days. It's gotta be in top shape (and I just spent $2800 on head gasket repairs).

Tell me something! Tell me you had the same problem. Tell me I am doing something wrong. I just need to get this DONE.

Add:

Looking around the net (google search) it seems like a rather common problem (yet another 'common' problem for the so-called reliable Subaru cars<sarcasm>. What is wrong with these cars...the engineering, parts, etc. are just horrible. No real solutions found though.

The tube is attached to the tranny case by one bolt and a brace bolt.. You'll have to remove them to get the whole tube off, remove dipstick and reattach.

http://opposedforces.com/parts/legacy/us_b11/type_8/automatic_transmission/

keep for future ref.

http://opposedforces.com/parts/legacy/

http://www.main.experiencetherave.com/subaru_manual_scans/

O.

get a bigger hammer
nothing a chain saw can't fix right :lol:

OK back to being serious:

I couldn't wait till morning. I did pull the bolt I saw that was just a bracket piece, but I don't think that's it. I did try to just pull it, but it didn't move. I suspect I need to get to the base of the dipstick tube...and that's where the bolt you are speaking of is, which will allow me to remove it. I wasn't going to attempt that (getting under the car) with just a floor hydraulic jack. I'm too safety conservative (ah maturity) to tempt that fate (especially considering my luck).

I can probably look around the site for that instruction too, or pop open the Haynes manual. I didn't look for that originally until the above advice about the dipstick tube removal was given.

i know you're talking about the tranny dip stick but my oil dip stick was stuck and being stubborn like i am i kept pulling and ended up breaking the tube itself loose. point being if it dont wanna move dont force it. sometimes these things just need a little finesse.

Yeah, nothing like muscling it into a worse situation. For now, I just keep trying simple answers. I did attempt the removal above, but can't figure something out to get the tube off. I'll try and find a place I can remove it while out on the road.

I am curious (and hopeful) that if I pull the tube, no fluid comes pouring out. On the road and already 1600 miles in two days, no issues (didn't expect any).

Archived