LegacyGT.com

Getting 15" wheels to fit?

Hey all I am searching for winter wheels with tires and found a great deal for alloy 15" 1996 legacy with near new winter tires. However from what I have collected from my readings in the past 5 hours, is they won't fit without modifications. I know someone is going to say why not just get 16" steelies an throw on tires on them, because I'm on a budget of about $250 total and I don't want to mount 17 snow tires as they are expensive an I want a winter set of wheels an summer.

Finding threads on NASIOC were all centered around whether 15" alloy legacy wheels will fit an '02-'04 wrx front calipers, an I'm honestly not sure what the heck came stock with my '07 outback XT. 2 pot front, 1 pot rear on 11" rotors? Has anyone on LGT ever ran 15" wheels, I know someone on here posted their XT with 6 spoke RS wheels, which I'd love but cannot find locally with winter tires mounted.

Can I fix the problem of the caliper rubbing by buying 5mm wheels spacers?

There was no direct answer to this question as some people said no because the spacer only changes how far the wheel is from the struts. But my logic is if its pushed further away from the strut, won't that mean it'll clear the caliper then?

The other question regarding spacers is; will it affect handling or any aspect of performance if I put a set of hub centric spacers up front, but not in the rear as they clear the rears as is.

Otherwise I have read that I would need to shave off about 1/4" depth wise an about 1.5" length wise on either outer corner of the front caliper, to have it fit over the 15" alloy. I rather not do this only because I don't know what that material I am removing actually does for the break, also would fvckin blow if I went too deep and fluid started spewing out...

Has anyone ever done this, outback/lgt/wrx and could show photos... I mostly want to get an idea of before, after to kinda go off from. I know its different per caliper/wheel of how much material needs to go, but pictures are nice to know what to hope for in the end.

Lazy People Read: Will 5mm hub centric spacers allow me to run a '96 alloy 5 spoke legacy wheel, on my '07 XT without having to shave my calipers with an angle grinder? If YES, is it okay to run 5mm spacers up front but keep the rears at oem spec, without running to some handling issue? Thanks

Subscribed. I have a 2005 LGT and was thinking it maybe be cheaper/better to do a 15" winter wheel/higher profile tire/small brake setup than get the stock size 17" lower profile winter tires and wheels, which would be more prone to curbing. I think I've heard of guys running early model wrx brakes and 16" wheels. Guys that rally might have some insight, as it's near impossible to find a gravel tire larger than 15".

Archived