LegacyGT.com

The Stumble/Stutter Thread

eightballrj

Same here..cleaned MAF and all good now...so far. I'm not too excited yet, the problem was pretty intermittent but I have been in bumper to bumper traffic a few times since and that was when it always happened. Even with A/C on, no stumble.

The IAT sensor was pretty dirty.

You did tell me to do this along time ago MAX CAP but for whatever reason I kept putting it off til a recent roadtrip where it really pissed me off.

Cleaned the MAF today. The IAT had filter oil all over it. Thanks, K&N!:spin:

When cold, it didn't feel much different, but after some drive time it seemed to improve significantly. I suspect the cold roughness may be related leaking intake gaskets. The rubber seemed a bit hard and I saw some residue around the mating flanges; I'll have to test for vacuum leaks at some point.

Yup, I go there just to walk around once in awhile. Must have been really cool to have that house as a weekend retreat, eh ?

Haha yea def, that house freaks me out now tho lol and its slowly sinking. Love it there tho

Recently purchased 2009 LGT 5EAT and I love it except for this stutter issue. For me it occurs when cruising around 2k rpm and slightly increasing throttle. It feels like the engine is bogging down like the transmission needs to down shift but doesn't. It will keep on stuttering as long as you keep the throttle constant, but if you apply a little more throttle it will downshift and the stutter will go away. I read through this entire thread and cannot figure out what is going on. I have no mods, but purchased a Cobb AP and tried OTS stage 1 map to try and fix the stutter. It did not fix it. I inspected the MAF and IAT and both are clean and shiny. Not sure what else to do and any advice would be appreciated.

TYPE OF STUTTER/STUMBLE

Steady throttle/Increasing throttle/Both: Steady or slightly increasing throttle.

MODS None

Intake:

Exhaust:

Fuel:

Turbo:

Engine Management: Cobb AP

Tuner and revision of tune(if you don't mind):

MAINTENANCE

Sensors changed:

Plugs changed:

Coil Packs changed:

OTHER SYMPTOMS

Check Engine Light: No CEL's

Etc:

RESULTS

What has and hasn't worked for you: Nothing has worked so far.

If something worked, how long has it been working for:

Recently purchased 2009 LGT 5EAT and I love it except for this stutter issue. For me it occurs when cruising around 2k rpm and slightly increasing throttle. It feels like the engine is bogging down like the transmission needs to down shift but doesn't. It will keep on stuttering as long as you keep the throttle constant, but if you apply a little more throttle it will downshift and the stutter will go away. I read through this entire thread and cannot figure out what is going on. I have no mods, but purchased a Cobb AP and tried OTS stage 1 map to try and fix the stutter. It did not fix it. I inspected the MAF and IAT and both are clean and shiny. Not sure what else to do and any advice would be appreciated.

TYPE OF STUTTER/STUMBLE

Steady throttle/Increasing throttle/Both: Steady or slightly increasing throttle.

MODS None

Intake:

Exhaust:

Fuel:

Turbo:

Engine Management: Cobb AP

Tuner and revision of tune(if you don't mind):

MAINTENANCE

Sensors changed:

Plugs changed:

Coil Packs changed:

OTHER SYMPTOMS

Check Engine Light: No CEL's

Etc:

RESULTS

What has and hasn't worked for you: Nothing has worked so far.

If something worked, how long has it been working for:

Same exact issue to a t that im having. Im used to it now because like u said, if u give it jist a little more gas the issue goes away right away. Im manual however.

Reading all this seems to me it's a casual problem the car has. Mine is an 05 and it does it when it's warm. Like you guys I'm trying to find the remedy.

Don't hate, because I'm learning...but what's MAF,IAT, and CEL again?

Don't hate, because I'm learning...but what's MAF,IAT, and CEL again?

MAF = mass air flow. Usually refers to the MAF sensor, which is located right behind the air filter.

IAT = intake air temperature. The IAT sensor is actually integrated into the MAF sensor.

CEL = check engine light.

• 2 weeks later...

Discovered something tonight that may be of relevance. The engine has noticeable roughness between 1700-2500rpm under no-load conditions. It's not as pervasive or intrusive as while driving, but definitely still there and the RPM range matches almost identically.

Any ideas on what could cause something like this?

I'm wondering how much of this issue is MAF getting dirty, at least on my car. Stupid oily K&N cakes the thing in a pretty short time, and if it's getting sketchy readings all the time from that...

Winning the internet

• 3 weeks later...
I'm wondering how much of this issue is MAF getting dirty, at least on my car. Stupid oily K&N cakes the thing in a pretty short time, and if it's getting sketchy readings all the time from that...

Your putting way to much oil on the filter. I've been using the K&N cleaning kit for 8 years now, still have about half left in the can's.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Another update of things that didn't fix it. Had the intake gaskets and spark plugs replaced, and put the ECU back to "stock" tune (in quotes because I believe it had a non-stock map before I flashed it to Cobb's Stage 1, so I don't know what map the AP reverted back to after divorcing).