LegacyGT.com

How to: Injector install / Replacement (With Pics!)

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Thanks for the tutorial. I have an 07 that I need to change #1 injector. How different will my experience be vs this (2005/2006)? I tried searching for another thread on it but couldn't find it so sorry if I missed it.

Thx

You have the "bracket of death" to deal with on the top feed injectors.

This might help: http://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2363216&postcount=9

While this is a 2011 WRX, there's very little if any difference, and this is about as thorough as you can get: http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2308068

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

We did an injector swap on Mr. Hicksta's 08 LGT last Summer and we got it done. It's the least user accessible part I can recall on a Subaru, but Overland4's how-to that I linked you to above, walks you through it all.

And "bracket of death" isn't my term... it's a the term of affection so many have come to use when describing it... YMMV. ;)

Undo the motor mounts, undo the pitchstopper, lift the engine (2x6 under oil pan on top of a jack works well), put the nuts back on the motor mount studs, set the motor on top of the cross-chassis mount. Do your spark plugs, Reverse your motor mount process.

Injector replaced. Idles much smoother. Ran great. Threw the same code 10 minutes later gently strolling on a flat road doing about 50.

Gahhdamn this car sometimes!

Anyone have any ideas? Valve issues?

I also Seafoamed the crankcase and it's running as smooth as it's ever run. Cleared the code. Came back. Grrr

Injector replaced. Idles much smoother. Ran great. Threw the same code 10 minutes later gently strolling on a flat road doing about 50.

Gahhdamn this car sometimes!

Anyone have any ideas? Valve issues?

I also Seafoamed the crankcase and it's running as smooth as it's ever run. Cleared the code. Came back. Grrr

I am assuming CEL is for cylinder #1 (or #4?). Assuming it is for #1 and since you have brand new injector in there, next step is to swap coils between #1 and #3. See if misfire follows. If not, same job with spark plugs or put brand new spark plugs all around. See what happens. If it stays in #1, well then compression and leak down tests.

In my case, I did all this troubleshooting and my misfire remained in the same cylinder (#4). Ended up being bad valve clearance.

Are spark plugs new?

IMHO, if timing was messed up, it would affect the whole bank and not just one cylinder. Technically, it is possible to check valve clearance with the engine in.

It may be time for a compression/ leak down tests. You can also let the car idle, open the oil cap and see if smoke comes out pulsing, then ringland issue :(.

Edited by xt2005bonbon

• 2 weeks later...
Last summer I kept getting cylinder 2 misfire on my code reader, replaced a ton of things like: Spark plugs, coil pack on #2, pulled injectors and sent them to witch hunter performance in WA to have them cleaned and flow tested. Only to find out while putting it back together that I had an exhaust hose leak. Funny how the little things'll getcha'.

• 10 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
How on earth do you guys push these (sidefed) in without damaging the injectors? I was hoping the FSM would say something about it, nothing, was hoping for even a special tool, nothing. If you try to use the bracket to push them in the bracket bends.

05 LGT 16G 14psi 290whp/30mpg (SOLD)

12 OBP Stock 130whp/27mpg@87 Oct

00 G20t GT28r 10psi 250whp/36mpg

22 Ascent STOCK

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...