LegacyGT.com

'08 Paddle Shifters

I know other brands have paddle shifters like Mitsubishi. What I want to know is this paddle shifter on the '08 Legacy, is it any good? I know it's not even a DSG, but I'm just wondering if anyone has ever used something similar to what will be on the new LGTs.

I know it doesn't deliver the experience of a manual, but is it any funner at all or just a gimmick?

i'm guessing the paddles will have the same reaction as the 5eat that the legacies have now wit the autostick. of course the reaction would be slower than if u have manual but i mean u bought an auto in the first place, u gotta compromise in something.

I haven't driven the paddle shift version because the dealers here don't offer a 3.0R for test drive and I don't have enough money to afford one.

But if the SPORTShift on the A/T is anything to go by, it's just a couple of pointy things that spoil the look behind your steering wheel. The reaction time is not worth using sportshift and I only used it briefly for a trial and I haven't used it since I bought the car a few weeks ago.

But as I said, I don't know if the paddle shift version will offer any better reaction times.

From the information I found on the 08's it looks like a different tranny altogether and improved shift quality whatever that means...

"Adding to the driving excitement with this transmission is a new "downshift blipping control" that gives the rev-matching behavior of an expertly shifted manual transmission. This transmission also features improved shift quality and performance for 2008.SI-DRIVE"

Not to hijack but does anyone have an idea what the downshift blipping control is?

DSG is a dual clutch manual transmission with a both clutches controlled by a computer. It is not an auto trans, no valve body or torque converter. DSG is a great system.

The "new" 5EAT is the same as the "old" 5eat. The program is different to make it more sporty.

In both cases the trans module "talks" to the ECM and decides what to do with both throttle and gear choice based on what you ask for. I am pretty sure the tran module is a slave to the ECM. It may even be intigrated into the ECM now, not sure. Eitherway you can have a tunner change your shift points and engaging force.

Peace,

Greg

Archived