LegacyGT.com

NEW Article on Subaru Diesel's

gfxdave99

This is a new article so search nazi's bug off..

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/11997143/

Subaru aims for diesel cars by end of 2007

Automaker's president wants engine on flagship model in Europe

Reuters

Updated: 4:35 p.m. ET March 24, 2006

TOKYO - Japan's Fuji Heavy Industries Ltd., the maker of Subaru cars, is developing a diesel engine with an eye to mounting it on its flagship model in Europe as early as the end of next year, its president said.

Chief Executive Kyoji Takenaka told a small group of reporters on Friday that Fuji Heavy would bring the engine to production at full throttle after agreeing last week to borrow Toyota Motor Corp.'s technology for hybrid cars.

"Because we're a small company, we had to choose between hybrid and diesel.

"Now that we have this arrangement with Toyota, diesel engine development and production are going to be our priority," Takenaka said, adding that the fuel-efficient engine, which powers half of Europe's cars, was also gathering momentum in major markets such as the United States and China.

"We're hoping to get it to market sometime around the end of 2007, or 2008," he said.

The engine would be compatible with its iconic symmetrical all-wheel-drive system, used on about two-thirds of its vehicles. Subaru will probably start offering the diesel option on the Legacy model, Takenaka suggested.

By 2010, about half of Subaru's European sales -- projected at 100,000 units by then -- should be fuelled by diesel, he said. Subaru sold 62,049 cars in Europe last year.

Beyond that, about one-third of Subaru's total all-wheel-drive models would switch to diesel, Takenaka said. He predicted the powertrain would eventually account for 10 to 20 percent of total car sales in Japan and the United States.

To reduce investment outlays, Subaru would build the engines on the same line as gasoline engines -- a task that was possible thanks to the unique structure of the symmetrical AWD drivetrain, he said.

Fuji Heavy has yet to decide how specifically to proceed in developing gasoline-electric hybrid cars using Toyota's technology, but Takenaka said those vehicles would come to market only after the diesel products.

Last year, Toyota took an 8.7 percent stake in Fuji Heavy, replacing General Motors Corp. as its biggest shareholder.

Industry watchers are keen to see how far the new alliance will go, particularly whether Toyota will eventually boost its equity stake. Toyota took minority stakes in mini-vehicle maker Daihatsu Motor Co. and truck maker Hino Motors Ltd. before turning them into majority-owned subsidiaries years later.

Takenaka said he did not envisage Fuji Heavy's becoming a full-blown member of the Toyota group, but rather being an independent partner much like motorcycle maker Yamaha Motor Co. , in which Toyota holds a 4.4 percent stake.

"We're a pretty stubborn bunch," said the former engineer.

"We never managed to blend in with Nissan Motor Co. or GM when we were allied with them. We'll preserve our independence," he said.

Takenaka said, however, that Fuji Heavy had a lot to learn from Toyota, mainly in reducing Subaru's high production costs and expediting the speed of vehicle development.

URL: http://msnbc.msn.com/id/11997143/

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough. - Mario Andretti

wtf happened to the turbo hydrid

That my friend is a good question. Maybe what they are saying is that they will focus on the diesel technology because they will be able to take some of the hybrid technology from toyota?

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough. - Mario Andretti

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/News/articleId=109779

More info

Subaru Puts a Diesel in the Pipeline for U.S. Sale by 2007

Date posted: 03-28-2006

TOKYO — Fuji Heavy Industries, the parent company of Subaru, said it is developing a diesel engine that is earmarked initially for the European market but eventually will find its way to North America.

Chief executive Kyoji Takenaka told Reuters news service that the company is able to accelerate its diesel development because of a recent agreement with Toyota to share that automaker's hybrid technology. Takenaka said he expects the diesel to reach production in late 2007 or early 2008. It probably will be installed initially in the Legacy sedan and wagon, which aren't due for a major redesign until model-year 2009.

The diesel engine is being developed for use with Subaru's symmetrical all-wheel-drive system, but Takenaka did not say whether it will be a horizontally opposed design, similar to that of the company's four- and six-cylinder gasoline engines.

The Fuji exec said the company expects half its European sales will be diesels by 2010, and about 10 to 20 percent in North America and Japan.

What this means to you: Subaru is about to join the ranks of diesel purveyors in Europe and North America.

Yeah, I'm not driving aorund in a car that goes clack clack clack, twin turbo H6 or not:lol:

So if it had an output close to the BMW I6 twin turbo diesel, at 272hp and 413 lb-ft you wouldn't drive it? Look into modern turbodiesel technology, they don't clack anymore. Oh yeah, it should get like 25-27mpg city and about 38mpg highway, and a diesel can take all the boost the cylinders can support. No worries about detonation, or running too lean.

Yeah, I'm not driving aorund in a car that goes clack clack clack, twin turbo H6 or not:lol:

THis is the major marketing hurdle the companies will face. Diesels are no longer smoggy, smelly, noisy cars. The American public just doesn't know it.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Guest *Jedimaster*

Shut it you faggots :lol:

Actually I have heard that the new diesels are quiet, but I've been behind a few VW's and they still sound crappy.

I've driven a few, newer diesels in Europe over the last few years. At idle, they definitely are noisier than a typical spark engine. They also do definitely smell a bit. However, both aspects are pretty minor and easy to live with. The upside is that they tend to be quieter at highway speeds because the engines rev lower.

I don't think I'd want a diesel for an out an out sporty car like an STi. For a family vehicle like a Tribeca or Outback though, bring it on.

THis is the major marketing hurdle the companies will face. Diesels are no longer smoggy, smelly, noisy cars. The American public just doesn't know it.

is diesel a lower grade gas that burns pretty dirty? if anyone could enlighten me... I'm excited to see the final product.

turbo-diesel?!?!?...sign me up for my propane kit!!!!

Kenda:dm:

Lol instead of an access port we'll be getting a Bully Dog :lol::lol:

i was pretty impressed with my cousin's mid-90's 3-series BMW I6 Turbodiesel when he took me for a drive in Europe... it kicked ass & even sounded like an inline 6 should sound, with a nice rasp like I remember coming from my gasoline powered 240z inline 6... Having another decade of development to benefit from, I definitely could see a well done turbodiesel complement a sports car... maybe not a WRX but for a Legacy it would work... 413 ft-lbs of torque...? Wow!! A sporty car that can tow a 7500lb trailer to boot!!
"I love the feel of wind in my face and boobies against my back." - BMW motorcycle rider

I doubt America will see the diesel models. However, for anyone who watchs Top Gear..."Diesel Cars Are NOT Cool, They say that you are interested only in saving money because they (usually) don't perform as well as the alternative and pollute more"

Archived