LegacyGT.com

catalytic converter warranties in CA

tcovello

I was reading that in CA, there's a 15 year, 150k mile warranty on catalytic converters....1. is this true? 2. if it is, if the car was bought new in KY in 2000, but is currenty registered in CA, does it still apply? That would be most awesome if it's true, as I just got a 900$ quote on replacing my cat.

It needs to be PZEV spec'd/certified to have the 15yr/150K mile PZEV warranty on some powertrain, electrical and emissions components. Your car is too old to be PZEV. It didn't start until ~2007.

These cars are only sold new in PZEV States, which KY is not. Your car would have PZEV badging on it and have that stuff listed in your warranty booklet that came with the car if it had it.

Every newer vehicle has a 7yr/70K or 8yr/80K mile Federal emissions warranty on catalytic converters. Unfortunately you're beyond that too.

I assume you're getting catalyst inefficiency codes, but the car still runs as it should and the exhaust system is otherwise intact?

That being the case, I'd install a spark plug anti-fouler in the downstream O2 sensor location. You can Google it for info.. This should eliminate the P0420 code for you and you don't have to spend ~$1200 for an OEM CC assembly.

Joel

it's a 2000 outback. I thought about doing that, but i don't really have any place to do it. My driveway is on an incline, and my "garage" isn't big enough to swing a cat in....besides, I've never done anything like that before(although I'm sure I could figure it out), don't want to get it disassembled and have the revelation that I should'nt have!:eek:

Bring it to a empty parking lot or a friend's house? You can't mess this up..a nuts and bolt and that's it. If it's rusted just use WD40 to loosen up the bolt and you should be fine. You don't have to be a mechanic. This is the least expensive way. Plus it'll give you a good understanding of you're vehicle. Don't be a puss...good luck!

Trying to swap-out a 2.5i CC assembly will not be fun w/out a lift. You will likely need a torch and/or grinder with a cut-off wheel given the original exhaust is ~13yrs/old.

I dunno that I'd have a lot of faith in a scrap yard CC assembly if your intention is keeping the P0420 codes away.

Joel

Archived