LegacyGT.com

elm327 vs stn1110 vs clone vs etc.

Posted this on 4th generation legacy forum but decided to also post it here, since this is the n/a forum, and gt people have more to work with than us. soo... here it is again...

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/stn1110-vs-elm327-vs-clone-vs-etc-229459.html

Hopefully some can help with this and some can learn from this, though this is nowhere complete or definitive. This is all based on lots of time on research going in circles :spin:..

• 5 weeks later...
i got a $10 elm 327 bluetooth coming, pretty cool videos on youtube, im gonna try to use the mirrorlink and put the various gauges on my nav screen just for fun. looks like an effective code reader,$16 what the hey

Don't buy a cheapo elm327, pay a little extra and get a better quality one. I brought a cheap on for my last car (a mondeo) and it died after about half an hour. Got a replacement one for free and that died as soon as I plugged it in. Still not sure if there was something to do with the car causing it to fail, but more than likely it was because it was a cheap. The Torque pro app is great though, would definitely recommend it again.

• 3 months later...

So after much debate, I finally decided to go with the obdlink sx (usb interface) since I'm gonna be hard wiring everything so that I can leave everything in the car and make it flush and make it look like it was factory installed. For those that have 08+ subarus and want to hook up through usb, I think this is a good choice. Since bluetooth and wireless are more popular options, they have reduced the price to 29.99 which wasn't bad to take the risk. If there's people that have 07 and under they can get this and a obd 2 splitter and hook up the vag-com cable for obd2 software and freessm I assume. I did end up getting an extension that angled after plugging in so I don't end up bumping the interface when using the clutch just in case, and since I'll probably be routing it to a laptop in the trunk. Touch screen is going in the cubby spot and I relocated clock where the ashtray is. Wiring power buttons to turn on the laptop and putting a switch for dc power to it will be easy enough.

Anyways, the obdlink sx is working well but occasionally doesn't connect right away, but eventually does in the end (maybe because of the extensions - obd2 extension and usb extension). Works well and is elm327 compatible but supposed to be scantool.net's own better/newer chip (didn't test vs elm327). Planning on leaving it in always so I've tested it with the engine running and off and it's still going strong, so it seems to be holding up pretty well compared to the elm327 clones from what you guys have said. They do give you a serial number for your obdwiz software for free, but know that their pro add on which gives you more features like boost (for turbo ppl) is an additional 39.99. Not exactly sure what else it lets you do, but I get a lot of pids for my sohc with the normal obdwiz and now just trying to figure out what they mean, and how I can use this info to make sure my car is in good shape.

When I finally put it all together I'll snap a few pics.

Archived