LegacyGT.com

suspected pilot bearing problem, looking for advice

I get a bit of squeak, more like a chirp, when I have the clutch in and the car is warmed up. Doing research online, squeak with the clutch disengaged is usually the pilot bearing going bad, so that's my assumption.

I'm not getting any obvious clutch slipping or any other abnormal behavior. There is stutter in every gear before the car is warmed up but I'd mostly attribute that to needing to change spark plugs or something simple®.

So should I let it go until I see problems with my clutch? Or should I bite the bullet and do a full clutch job that I really can't afford right now? Either case I'd be paying a shop to do the work. Am I jumping the gun and it could be something totally different?

EDIT: I should add that the noise isn't nearly as loud/horrible as the pilot bearing videos I see on youtube.

Most sounds in my experience come from the throwout bearing to me.

If you're on the original clutch, there is a slight possibility that the bearing is eating its way into the snout of the transmission case. I suppose it's possible the pilot bearing has gone bad, but generally the TOB is the more common culprit of noise. If you search you will find numerous threads about the throwout bearing.

When you say "clutch in " that means your foot is pushing the pedal down. That's the TOB.

Third this.

What can you do? Pull the trans, replace the TOB.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

OP. look in the transmission forum. You should get a TSK3 TOB kit, 07-09 flywheel and a good clutch kit.

IMO do not use a OEM clutch.

Also buy from one of the vendors that support this forum, or contact Mike at AZPinstalls.com if your on the east coast of m sprank if your on the west coast.

They help out on here a lot for free.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

So yall are pretty certain that would be TOB then? I had a mechanic buddy take a listen today and he said he couldn't be sure, I'll take a video tonight and post it up here.

And I'm guessing I'm advised to not drive at all until I get this taken care of?

As for the cost, my shop runs $85 an hour... is there any way I could do it myself with the help of a more knowledgeable friend or a member of a local forum who's done it before? I'm guessing that this one is best left to the pros but saving $500+ in labor would be great.

EDIT: So I'm looking at ~$500 for a clutch kit, $160 for TSK3, and $275 for a new SMFW, so almost a grand before labor? ...well this is a little overwhelming.

Depending on how bad the noise is...

It's always better to fix it now instead of later. As specially if your not sure. If it was my car, I might push it, But I know what the car sounds like and have clue.

The clutch kit comes with a new pilot bearing so either way the noise should go away.

I said in another thread today, I think its easier over all to remove the engine from the tranny. When the engines out you have lots of room to work in the clutch and FW

You need the car at least 2ft off the ground to get the tranny out with ease.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

OK, I'll see if any of my buddies have the facilities/knowledge to help me do this. Guessing I'll have to pay the man though. Hope this bearing gives me a little time to save up before it explodes.

Noise really isn't that bad/loud, as I said I'll post a vid... It's only audible at idle and you have to really try to hear it with the windows rolled up.

Archived