LegacyGT.com

Factory stereo upgrade

scoobydrew

I searched and didn't notice if this has been covered but...

I found this: http://www.crutchfield.com/S-d0Eaezw41fj/cgi-bin/prodview.asp?i=120998901 at Crutchfield, but, it's obviously not compatible w/ auto climate control. :( The company that makes this is: http://www.metraonline.com/.

I spoke with a tech person there who said that it is in the plans (auto climate) but based on demand. He said the more inquires they get the sooner it could become a reality. They would also make the wiring harness. So anyone with auto climate control that's interested in getting a new receiver should call or email them with a request. Also, for spec. B and some Outback people, steering wheel stereo controls may also be incorporated into the harness.

Edit: Contact info. METRA - 800.221.0932 or email - jake.bates@metra-autosound.com

ProTUNED by RaminiSports :icon_mrgr

Would the incorporation of steering wheel controls be mounted on the sides of the oem steering wheel, or how does that work?

This only applies to existing steering wheel controls. Meaning that the special harness needed (due to auto climate control) may also have the ability to maintain the steering wheel control functionality.

In order to do an auto climate version, Metra will have to include a screen in there. The harness for the Auto Climate is already separated from the main wiring harness.

That is where the expense will come in.

Now I'm confused...

The guy told me that the problems lies in the "fact" that the stereo and auto-climate "share a circuit board". I thought that was where the harness came into play. From when I installed the Jazzy board, I don't remember the two units being tied in to each other. So the harness is not the issue? Why wouldn't they be able to make the proper trim cut-out (for auto-climate) and deal with rest internally?

I called them a few times awhile back and each time they have said they do not plan on making one for the auto climate control. I just called and got the same response. I guess like most places......it just depends on who answers the phone.

Now I'm confused...

The guy told me that the problems lies in the "fact" that the stereo and auto-climate "share a circuit board". I thought that was where the harness came into play. From when I installed the Jazzy board, I don't remember the two units being tied in to each other. So the harness is not the issue? Why wouldn't they be able to make the proper trim cut-out (for auto-climate) and deal with rest internally?

The auto-climate does share a circut board with the radio. All of the display components and controls are mounted to it. It must be fairly basic, it can be chopped in half! (done by a very brave member in California, IIRC).

The radio and HVAC have seperate wiring harnesses but both are pluged into the case of the radio. I am guessing there is just a passthrough for the HVAC wiring.

• 10 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I am planning on glove box mounting a JVC Bluetooth unit with remote. Does the radio power harness power the Auto climate system or does it get power from one of the other plugs on the back?

Wow, you really blew the cobwebs off this thread.

In models built in Subaru's USA plant, you must leave both connected (the 14-pin radio harness "i26" and the i88 HVAC harness) for the HVAC portion to work -- it obtains various power from both sources. On the 14-pin, you'll only need the ground, power, and 2 illumination/dimmer leads (you can omit the speaker and power antenna pins/leads).

(and so much for the idea of Metra developing an aftermarket [auto climate control / electronic] HVAC panel kit for these models).

The us made car should have a radio model P-201UH on the top of them. I ended up ordering the metra kit and cutting the single din section off the manual climate control portion. This looks alot cleaner than a pocket in the double din, and lets you use the us hazard button

Wow, you really blew the cobwebs off this thread.

In models built in Subaru's USA plant, you must leave both connected (the 14-pin radio harness "i26" and the i88 HVAC harness) for the HVAC portion to work -- it obtains various power from both sources. On the 14-pin, you'll only need the ground, power, and 2 illumination/dimmer leads (you can omit the speaker and power antenna pins/leads).

(and so much for the idea of Metra developing an aftermarket HVAC panel kit for these models).

Yeah I sure did. I bought the car back in September and I can't live with the crappy radio any longer! Do you happen to have a pin out diagram or pics labeling the wires? Or is this the same 14 pin wiring from every Subaru of the same era?

Archived