LegacyGT.com

Climate Control - what a joke

rexster

The "climate control" in the LGT sucks ballz. The list of things is does wrong far exceeds the list of things it does right. In fact, it doesn't do anything right.

Has anyone looked to see if the auto AC turn on feature can be defeated? I hate how every time you turn the system on it automatically turns on the AC. The WRX had a contact switch behind the dials, all you had to do is unscrew it and then the AC wouldn't turn on unless you pressed the AC button.

Now that i think about it, i might look and see how much work would be involved converting it to full manual, then i can replace the worthless stereo too.

Guest *Jedimaster*
You just have to get used to it. My one complaint is that the temp for the drivers and passengers sides must be adjusted independently. I'd prefer to have the drivers' knob adjust both until the passenger decides to change it.

The AC light (when in auto mode) just means the system can use AC if needed...

Most of the time for the next few months the compressor will not be running other than for a short defrost.

Ted

well when i go to work in the morning it's about 55-60 degrees. i hit the fan up button to turn on the system in "manual mode" to have control over the system. and even though the heat is on (and 67 degrees causes super hot air to come out), i can see the AC indicator turn on, and i can hear and feel the AC compressor belt engage. So yes it's cooling down my hot air. I understand the compressor uses a clutch and cycles it on and off, but it shouldn't be on at all.

i have to fiddle with the friggin thing for 30 seconds to a minute to get what i want. i find it distracting and dangerous. it would be nice to have a true manual control mode. it would be easier, safer and it would work better. i'll stop ranting now...

If I start mine with the Auto button in the morning, here is what happens.(This is in the 40-50 degree damp weather lately, and the system on 70)

1. System comes on blowing air out the top, the air is roughly ambient. The display shows outside air, AC, and top vents. The Compressor is not running.

5-10 sec later

2. System switches to bottom vents and defroster, Compressor is on (Not cooling, but DRYING the air so that it defrosts faster) Air is on Recirc

2-5min later

3. System is blowing air at my feet, cycling the AC on for about 1 min every 5-10 minutes to keep the air dry and windows clear. Shows recirc, AC, Bottom vents

That is how it will stay when the temp dif is >15-20 deg

If it is less than 15, it will start using more outside air and less AC, because the windows are less likely to fog...

Ted

:spin:

i can see the AC indicator turn on, and i can hear and feel the AC compressor belt engage. So yes it's cooling down my hot air.

It is NOT cooling off anything. The AC dehumidifies the air before it hits your heater core. No heat is lost. Now you just have hot, dry air instead of just hot air.

Changing the air temp from 65 to even 45 degrees before its warmed by the heater core does nothing to the resulting temp at the vents. Your heater is still hot when it's 20 degrees, right?

Well, I think the thread starter hit this one right on the nose - the auto climate control system really sucks. After a year plus of ownership my recommendation is to just leave it off whenever possible and use some combination of the windows, sunroof and extra clothing to achieve the desired body temperature.

And for all of you that are hypersensitive to complaints - I like my car - I'd purchase it again and recommend it to others - I just think the auto climate control is a steaming pile of guano. I'd swap in a second for an old fashioned manual control.

</rant>

Not another one of these threads .... Ok, you can use it in manual mode ... but you'll never figure it out because you're too busy bitching about it.

BUT ... hitting the "AUTO" button isn't the only way to turn the system on. You can press any other button and it will turn the system on, and in essence, you'll be in manual mode. You can also turn the AC off ... I only have to turn the AC off MAYBE once a week, because I find the settings I like and then change it from there. It's no different than a manual system if you use it properly. :rolleyes:

Hello,

Brady, not true. In all my cars, I leave the system on defrost because I like the air in the car to be a certain temperature, but I don't want hot or cold air blowing on my face, drying my contact lenses. In the OXT, going to defrost turns on the AC compressor but doesn't let the air come in cold. So on a hot day, especially if I'm wearing shorts and flip-flops or sandals, I have two choices: AC air blowing in my face or AC freezing my feet while leaving me too warm. Those are the only two choices.

I would like, like on almost any other car, including my STi, my previous Subarus, my Miatas, etc., to be able to get cold air directed at the windshield so that it cools off the whole car...

There is no manual override for that... my biggest complaint. I don't even mind the fact that every time you turn the dial to defrost, the fans go full blast. I just turn them down as soon as I get to defrost.

Joel

i have to fiddle with the friggin thing for 30 seconds to a minute to get what i want. i find it distracting and dangerous. it would be nice to have a true manual control mode. it would be easier, safer and it would work better. i'll stop ranting now...

Read the sticky at the top, it explains how to get into true manual mode the easy way. If you start from auto, it takes several steps to get into manual mode and can be annoying.

Craig

Joel ... fair enough. I wear contacts, so I'm sympathetic to the dry eyes issue. I pretty much NEVER wear sandals, so I don't experience the foot issue. I usually have the air blowing on the bottom vents, or some other combination. Yes, I don't think there is any way to make it come on the windshield automatically.

Yeah, running out of the top and bottom vents is the way to go. It at least helps moderate the "I might as well stick my face out the window at 80 mph effect" when the crazy climate control blasts the fan out of the top vents and works to reach the temp you set on the dial in 3.4 seconds after starting the car.For a supposed "automatic" climate control, I find myself fiddling with it way too much. Adjusting fan speed, moving the temp up or down to reduce the seeming overcompensation of the system as it tries mightily to get there asap,turning the a/c off, etc. all gets done rather frequently.

On my GTI, I think the only button I ever press on that thing is to adjust the temp once for summer and once for winter pretty much. Other than that, it's transparent and never seems to get annoying with it's crazy monkey on crack fan speeds.

Ahh well, at least once you get the hang of it, the system does take less fiddling than a truly "manual" system, so in that respect it's not so bad.

Archived