LegacyGT.com

Klasse SG durability?

Bear with me here :D

- 4 weeks ago I detailed my SWP wagon for the first time. Wash, clay, wash, Klasse AIO, Klasse SG (all applied by hand)

- each weekend after that I've washed with Meguiars NXT and applied another coat of SG, this weeked was application 4.

The problem is after each wash, the car feels like it has no SG on it at all. The paint feels almost a little tacky and grabby instead of smooth and slick. Water is still beading, though not as well as immediately after the SG application.

This past weekend I noticed some small particles embedded in the clear coat on some of the horizontal surfaces.

It's really hot down here and it rains almost everyday. Can the weather be causing the SG to really not hold up for more than a week?

Anything I can change to increase the life of the sealant? I'm not concerned about a show car finish, but I do want to keep the paint clean and protected.

Thanks for the help.

Heat and humitdy sometimes affect how SG bonds to the paint, but after a week I would imagine it had done its work. Even under the worst conditions you should get way beyond a week with SG. SG is one of those ultimate sealants that last for months and months. I use it in the winter when it's too nasty outside to deal with waxing the car every other week.

Could it be possible that you are using too much SG? The rule of thumb is to apply it so thin that you can't hardly see it. The thinner the better. Grabby could mean that the product isn't buffed off all the way. Try this for a test.... Clay the car and apply AIO again to strip off the SG. Apply one coat of SG and see what it feels like in a week. If it feels grabby then we'll have to consider anything that happened to it durring that week. The grabby feeling you are getting now could have been from something that happened on the first coat or the fourth. SG isn't supposed to be grabby, but it could just be the climate you are in. If you top it with a coat of carnauba wax then it should smooth it out again. Get one coat on it and we'll see what it feels like.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

I'm using about a nickel sized amount on my MF applicator for 2 panels. I can't see it at all. I buff it out using a clean MF towel and immediately after it feels smooth and slick. It's about a week later that the paint starts to feel like it has nothing on it.

I understand that the SG needs about 24 hours to bond with the paint. I have no garage and I believe for coats 1 and 3 it rained before the 24 hour point. Could this be the problem?

It's been rain free since the last wash, so I'll check it this weekend and see how it feels.

Thought I'd check back in. Washed the car again this weekend, and if feels a lot better. I think the SG really does need about 24 hours to bond to the paint. Rain immediately after application seems to minimize it's protective effects.

Thanks for the tips OCDetails.

Archived