LegacyGT.com

2008 Subaru Legacy & Outback

02BlkRex

http://blogs.edmunds.com/.ee948f8

Paris Auto Show: 2008 Subaru Legacy & Outback

http://blogs.edmunds.com/.ee948f7/cmd.233/embedded..ee94925

Subaru has put together a modest refresh for the Subaru Legacy and Outback sedans and wagons. European buyers will enjoy the benefits starting next month, while we'll see something like it starting with the 2008 model year. On the surface, it's all about brightwork. The Legacy has a new grille with a large ribbon of chrome and on wagons, a revised set of tailights are linked horizontally across the hatch by another strip of it. On the Legacy sedan we looked at, there was even chrome trim on the side skirts -- this was a European-market Legacy, we're guessing it will turn up on our 2.5 GT as well. The Outback also gets a new, multiple-slat grille, but it isn't quite as dramatic.

http://blogs.edmunds.com/.ee948f7/cmd.233/embedded..ee9492b

Automatic-equipped Legacys and Outbacks (likely only the GTs and XTs, we suspect) will get steering wheel-mounted paddles shifters and downshift rev-matching. The center stacks inside the cars also look a little different -- there's more metallic trim on the stereo and climate knobs and buttons, but they don't necessarily look easier to use.

http://blogs.edmunds.com/.ee948f7/cmd.233/embedded..ee94919

Finally, there are a few chassis changes. The front suspension mounts are stiffer than before, and engineers reinforced various parts of he body from the A-pillar forward. On the Outback, the front suspension geometry has also been tweaked. Net result is a smoother, better controlled ride, according to Minori Yuki, manager of Subaru's Total Vehicle Performance Integration department.

http://blogs.edmunds.com/.ee948f7/cmd.233/embedded..ee9491f

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey thanks. I did search and didn't come up with much on the '08's, especially pics.

And I'm new to this site but I've had a WRX for 6 years (just sold it) and my LGT is on order. I've been floating around the WRX forums for a while so even though it looks like I'm a noob, I'm really not.

I'm not sure why those guys are saying it is old news anyway. I couldn't find much on the '08's when I was deciding to wait or go with an '07. Only JDM pics that usually change quite a bit before we get them anyway.

Maybe it was just n00b initiation?

I have an '07 on order, do you guys think I should cancel and wait for an '08 while I drive my wife's Saturn Ion *ick*?

I understand the get it now sentiment, but then you just want to make the right decision. I may get an '07 spec b but what if '08 LGTs receive a power bump and offer a six speed. The only reason I'd get an '07 spec b is for the 6 speed, torsen rear and suspension parts anyway. I'd settle for an '08 regular if they had 2 of these three.

Yeah, the bug-eyed WRX's always kinda reminded me of a pug (dog). So damn ugly they were cute...I mean rugged...in their own way. Ugly or not, once the turbo spins, the bullshit ends! <-- saw that on a sticker!

I spoke with a saleman from the dealership I'm getting my '07 LGT from today. He called to say it will be in in about 10 days. After reading a lot of the responses from this and other posts, I was pretty determined to back out and wait for the '08's but figured I'd give him a chance to sway me.

He made some good points and I'm happy to say that I will be purchasing the '07 I ordered. What did he say to convince me to spend $26K?

1. Not much is changing on the '08's. Typically Subaru keeps a bodystyle about 4 years. That puts it at '09 for a major redesign. No way am I waiting 2 years!

2. The Impreza line is getting MAJOR changes this year. He was talking hatchback and the like. Yuk. Typically car companies only make major changes to one model at a time. That way if it bombs, they still have another model that has proven sales and likeability.

3. He said I may be sorry if I don't go with the '07. Of course that is a salesman wanting to sell me a car though. He was on a work phone but said to think about the direction Subaru was going with their stylings. They are moving towards modeling a lot of models after the Tribeca. Good if you like the Tribeca...I don't. So in '09 don't be suprised if you see the Legacy with styling cues taken from the Tribeca.

Again, this is from a SALESMAN but he did make a few good points. Points that may be total crap and I'll be sorry next year, but I for one don't think so. At the very least, you can't really go wrong with the Legacy GT no matter what year. I'll chance it. Hope this helps some of you in the same boat as me.

Yeah, the bug-eyed WRX's always kinda reminded me of a pug (dog). So damn ugly they were cute...I mean rugged...in their own way. Ugly or not, once the turbo spins, the bullshit ends! <-- saw that on a sticker!

I spoke with a saleman from the dealership I'm getting my '07 LGT from today. He called to say it will be in in about 10 days. After reading a lot of the responses from this and other posts, I was pretty determined to back out and wait for the '08's but figured I'd give him a chance to sway me.

He made some good points and I'm happy to say that I will be purchasing the '07 I ordered. What did he say to convince me to spend $26K?

1. Not much is changing on the '08's. Typically Subaru keeps a bodystyle about 4 years. That puts it at '09 for a major redesign. No way am I waiting 2 years!

3. He said I may be sorry if I don't go with the '07. Of course that is a salesman wanting to sell me a car though. He was on a work phone but said to think about the direction Subaru was going with their stylings. They are moving towards modeling a lot of models after the Tribeca. Good if you like the Tribeca...I don't. So in '09 don't be suprised if you see the Legacy with styling cues taken from the Tribeca.

Wow, you had a very misinformed salesman. Legacies and Outbacks are due for a refresh next year, we already know what it will look like. the Tribeca styling i.e. the airfoil grille is DEAD, for the umpteenth million time DEAD. He was trying to scare you into a car. Now you likely won't see any major performance changes in the Leg/OB range next year and there is no reason not to go with an 07 but your sales guy is a douche.

Always trying to make the sale, huh Boy? :lol::icon_bigg

I keep telling the OP, just look at the LGT.com homepage there is a huge thread on the redesign! :lol:

Personally, I'd rant and rave to the sales manager (who likely isn't as informed as me :icon_wink ) about being lied to and that you're mad and blah blah blah and see if you can get a better deal :lol: . Hey, its not my store's gross that'll suffer :icon_mrgr

Is the pic that started this thread what you are calling a refresh? While I do like the car a little better than the '07, (provided we actually get that one) it's not a drastic enough change to cause me to wait.

Before I ask this question, I have searched and searched this forum and the ENTIRE Internet and didn't come up with a lot of pics....soooooooo does anyone have any good pics of the '08 Legacy's?

Are you saying the saleman is full of it on ALL comments or are you targeting one in particular? There is no way I can wait to '09 for a car, my concern was should I wait until July/August '07 and get an '08 if it will be a substantially different car inside and out. Or just out. Everything I've seen is that it will be very similar to the current Legacy. Somebody PLEASE make up my mind for me!!

The reason you arent finding any 08 pics, is that it is actually the 07 JDM refresh ;)

So there is no guarantee we are even getting what is in the JDM pics?

From my above post: When I talk "major redesign", I'm talking about drastic drastic changes like what they did from the '02-'03 WRX to the '04-'05 WRX. From the Legacy pics I'm seeing, it still looks like the same car, just with different wheels and front spoiler.

some of us know some of what is coming, and it is very promising... most of the readers on this forum probably don't care (bluetooth and mem seats are likely, for example). There is no reason not to go with the 07, great car and IMHO much more car for the $$ than the 05-06 (better seats, XM ready, si-drive)... besides, if you wait for the 08 by then the 2010 redesign rumors should be starting and then you'll ask "should I wait for the 2010 model"... you gotta jump in the water sooner or later. Oh and he was right on the Impreza ;)

"Finally, there are a few chassis changes. The front suspension mounts are stiffer than before, and engineers reinforced various parts of he body from the A-pillar forward."

That's the most I could find other than slight body style "refreshes" that will change for the '08. My '07 comes in next week!!

You've already given some great information, but is there any chance at all that there is a change in engine or transmission for the '08? Will VDC be standard for the LGT? Those, really are the only things that I'd be waiting for.

Right now everything is in the should stage... i.e., the US should get the JDM refersh inside and out, we should get bluetooth and memory seats, we should get VDC, etc etc. The lack of confirmation usually means confirmation in SOA speak but there are likely details still being worked out (trim levels/packages, pricing, etc). VDC WILL happen across the entire lineup in the next yr or two... it has to, it's mandated that all cars by 09 (I think) must have it, SOA would be foolish to lose its cache of safety awards for a few hundred $$ add-on.

Right now everything is in the should stage... i.e., the US should get the JDM refersh inside and out, we should get bluetooth and memory seats, we should get VDC, etc etc. The lack of confirmation usually means confirmation in SOA speak but there are likely details still being worked out (trim levels/packages, pricing, etc). VDC WILL happen across the entire lineup in the next yr or two... it has to, it's mandated that all cars by 09 (I think) must have it, SOA would be foolish to lose its cache of safety awards for a few hundred $$ add-on.

Is VDC only for automatic transmissions?

http://blogs.edmunds.com/.ee948f8

Paris Auto Show: 2008 Subaru Legacy & Outback

http://blogs.edmunds.com/.ee948f7/cmd.233/embedded..ee94925

Subaru has put together a modest refresh for the Subaru Legacy and Outback sedans and wagons. European buyers will enjoy the benefits starting next month, while we'll see something like it starting with the 2008 model year. On the surface, it's all about brightwork. The Legacy has a new grille with a large ribbon of chrome and on wagons, a revised set of tailights are linked horizontally across the hatch by another strip of it. On the Legacy sedan we looked at, there was even chrome trim on the side skirts -- this was a European-market Legacy, we're guessing it will turn up on our 2.5 GT as well. The Outback also gets a new, multiple-slat grille, but it isn't quite as dramatic.

http://blogs.edmunds.com/.ee948f7/cmd.233/embedded..ee9492b

Automatic-equipped Legacys and Outbacks (likely only the GTs and XTs, we suspect) will get steering wheel-mounted paddles shifters and downshift rev-matching. The center stacks inside the cars also look a little different -- there's more metallic trim on the stereo and climate knobs and buttons, but they don't necessarily look easier to use.

http://blogs.edmunds.com/.ee948f7/cmd.233/embedded..ee94919

Finally, there are a few chassis changes. The front suspension mounts are stiffer than before, and engineers reinforced various parts of he body from the A-pillar forward. On the Outback, the front suspension geometry has also been tweaked. Net result is a smoother, better controlled ride, according to Minori Yuki, manager of Subaru's Total Vehicle Performance Integration department.

http://blogs.edmunds.com/.ee948f7/cmd.233/embedded..ee9491f

This is new news to me. Thanks for posting.

Archived