LegacyGT.com

Need Help!!! Legacy GT Wagon Build/Buy

Hi, I've found an 05 Legacy GT wagon and am I looking to buy it. I need some help though, I'm not sure if it's a good idea.

-Mods-

BNR 16g turbo

Grimmspeed Electronic Boost Controller

Perrin silicone turbo inlet

2014 WRX intercooler

NO CATS

Divorced wastegate passage

Muffler delete

Rims/tires

Short block replaced- only 70k miles on it

It's only about $4000

-Pros-

The body/chassis are in really good shape

Conservative tune from Cryotune

Interior is spot on

One owner

Maintenance done at Subaru dealership

-Cons-

Body has 202k miles on it

Shiftable auto

-I just need help figuring out reliability and such. I'm looking for this to be a daily and need to know what work might need to be done to it, the quality of the parts, and if this is even a good idea. Thanks!!!

Run. Run. Run.Run. Run. Run.Run. Run. Run.Run. Run. Run.Run. Run. Run.Run. Run. Run.Run. Run. Run.Run. Run. Run.Run. Run. Run.Run. Run. Run.Run. Run. Run.Run. Run. Run.Run. Run. Run.Run. Run. Run.Run. Run. Run.Run. Run. Run.Run. Run. Run.Run. Run. Run.Run. Run. Run.Run. Run. Run.Run. Run. Run.Run. Run. Run.Run. Run. Run.Run. Run. Run.Run. Run. Run.Run. Run. Run.Run. Run. Run.Run. Run. Run.Run. Run. Run.Run. Run. Run.Run. Run. Run.Run. Run. Run.Run. Run. Run.Run. Run. Run.Run. Run. Run.Run. Run. Run.Run. Run. Run.Run. Run. Run.Run. Run. Run.Run. Run. Run.Run. Run. Run.Run. Run. Run.Run. Run. Run.Run. Run. Run.Run. Run. Run.Run. Run. Run.Run. Run. Run.Run. Run. Run.Run. Run. Run.Run. Run. Run.Run. Run. Run.Run. Run. Run.Run. Run. Run.Run. Run. Run.Run. Run. Run.Run. Run. Run.Run. Run. Run.Run. Run. Run.Run. Run. Run.Run. Run. Run.Run. Run. Run.Run. Run. Run.Run. Run. Run.Run. Run. Run.Run. Run. Run.Run. Run. Run.Run. Run. Run.Run. Run. Run.Run. Run. Run.Run. Run. Run.Run. Run. Run.Run. Run. Run.Run. Run. Run.Run. Run. Run.Run. Run. Run.Run. Run. Run.Run. Run. Run.Run. Run. Run.Run. Run. Run.Run. Run. Run.Run. Run. Run.Run. Run. Run.Run. Run. Run.Run. Run. Run.Run. Run. Run.Run. Run. Run.Run. Run. Run.Run. Run. Run.Run. Run. Run.Run. Run. Run.Run. Run. Run.Run. Run. Run.Run. Run. Run.Run. Run. Run.Run. Run. Run.Run. Run. Run.Run. Run. Run.Run. Run. Run.Run. Run. Run.Run. Run. Run.Run. Run. Run.Run. Run. Run.Run. Run. Run.Run. Run. Run.Run. Run. Run.Run. Run. Run.Run. Run. Run.Run. Run. Run.Run. Run. Run.Run. Run. Run.Run. Run. Run.Run. Run. Run.Run. Run. Run.Run. Run. Run.Run. Run. Run.Run. Run. Run.Run. Run. Run.Run. Run. Run.Run. Run. Run.Run. Run. Run.
Need forum help? Private Message legGTLT

I think he means it's a divorced wastegate DP rather than completely open wastegate, but who knows. The lack of cats means the exhaust will have a noticable smell and can be very intrusive as a daily. The exhaust will be loud as well w/o mufflers so close do your neighbors live?

It sounds like a car that had blown a turbo and subsequently engine at some point. No injector or pump mods makes me think it's got a nice bump from stock power but not insane by any means. What are the age of the mods? That's a lot of miles on the body and most likely a lot on the aftermarket parts. It's a car you would want to keep a substantial amount of money on hand for repairs I can tell you that. If you don't mind repairs and maintenance, and have to have power on tap to consider it a great driving experience, then it could be a good choice. On the other hand if ease of use, cost, and reliability are paramount to you I would look for an n/a version.

+1 for the tuner though (Cryotune). He's very thorough and helpful. I can guarantee that when the tune was done, it was done well. But also remember a lot could have happened to the car since...

Bottom line-it's a gamble

Contact cryotune, he's a member on here. He may know something about the car.

2014 WRX intercooler is same as 2005 LGT intercooler. Much newer plastic, but same part.

Every car has wheels/tires. What kind? What shape are the tires? All 4 from same set? That will give some insight as to how the car was treated. Subaru Dealership is only as good as the people working on the car. My last trip to the dealership left me with a damaged dashboard. Definitely not a pro.

70k on a replaced shortblock...That's 70k on a project that the Subaru factory did not assemble at the plant. Private rebuilds throw any amount of factory reliability out the window.

Why is it only 4k? That seems low - is the seller desperately needing to get rid of it? One owner with all that work...they don't want to own the car any longer, and there's probably a reason for it. Could be harmless, could be trouble.

What's your location? A Florida car lives a different life than a Pennsylvania car.

I'd pass without knowing more, and did pass on modded cars when looking for mine.

Do we know whose car it was, is he a member ?

My wagon tuned 219,000 last week, my ej257 has over 75000 miles at 21PSI on stock fueling. Drive the car every day and take it to VT skiing just about every weekend.

Its catless, stock midpipe, 2.5" axle back custom exhaust.

X2 for talking to Dave

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

The price tells me something happened, whether it be with the vehicle or personal, that the owner wants it gone NOW. I wouldn't touch it without receipts for all work done, some form of maintenance history, and getting a full inspection(including compression and leakdown test). You could be looking at a sweet deal! But it would suck for you to be a victim of buying a Legacy GT that has a 16G in it because it just blew the 20G that was originally in there, and have the motor spin a bearing in 2,000 miles.

I guess what were saying is do your homework, real good.

MTBwrench's Stage 3 5EAT #racewagon 266awhp/255awtq @17.5psi, Tuned By Graham of Boosted Performance

Everyone knows what I taste like.

I would go for it, but being prepared to spend some money.

I bought this much modified wagon a few yearw ago: http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/fs-oh-2006-legacy-gt-ltd-wagon-214526.html?t=214526

Unknown to me the banjo bolt filters had not been removed and after my first oil change at my trusted local garage using dino oil and a NAPA filter I had turbo oil starvation issues. Before it blew, I replaced the turbo with a BNR 16g, tuned by Cyro-Dave, went to stock suspension and wheels. So now i have a really quick daily driver.

Still on the original engine with 195K miles on it. Using Rotella T6 and Subaru filters, oil analyzed by Blackstone, using 1 qt. on a 5000 mile OCI.

And the best part is the way it pushes me back in the seat when I step on the gas.

Archived