LegacyGT.com

VA inspection for an 05 LGT with catless UP and Cobb catted DP?

ATB

I currently live in NJ and am moving to Northern Virginia (Burke specifically) this month.

My '05 LGT has an uncatted UP, a Cobb catted down pipe, and an access port. I've seen conflicting reports of the ability to have a LGT with this setup pass inspection in VA.

Ideally I'd like to keep the car as-is since the DP and AP were just installed this spring. I had kept the engine stock, with the exception of the UP to protect the turbo, until my stock DP rotted through and the Cobb DP + AP was about the same cost as a OEM DP.

If I have to go back to an OEM down pipe I will do so; I'd rather not go the route of swapping DPs each year to pass inspection.

For emissions inspection, any car with OBD-ii they will usually just pull the codes via the port, if you don't have codes then I think you will be fine. Emissions is done every 2 years though.

Yearly safety inspection is the normal stuff, lights, tires, brakes, etc.

The only issue will be emissions. Worse comes to worse you can try to get it past inspection and if they don't say anything then...you're fine. Otherwise you will get a rejection and you have to get it "fixed" within a certain number of days. I'm sure there are other guys with modded cars who can point you to the right shops. I don't live in Northern VA anymore so I don't have to get emissions.

Any recommendations for inspection locations that just do an ODBII scan and a quick check to make sure there is a cat?

I hear that they are supposed to do a visual inspection to verify OEM setup in NoVA, but many do not.

I have what sounds like the same setup that you do. I have a catless UP, Cobb DP, access port, and a VF52. I just had my car inspected in July and it passed without an issue. BUT it turned out the place I took it to was pretty sketch. For example my tires needed to be replaced and they passed me anyway. Also, I used a credit card and my credit info was stolen later that day!

I took it to Town Car Repair on South Glebe in Arlington. They'll pass you, but use cash!

I think your setup will pass even at a respectable establishment though.

• 3 weeks later...

I lived in Burke/Springfield before moving back to Ohio and I used the Shell Gas station off Ole Keene Mill and Rolling Road near the Giant for inspection.

8315 Old Keene Mill Rd, Springfield, VA 22152

My setup was this exhaust wise.

*OEM STi UP

*Stromung Divorced Waste gate shorty front DP + PERIN catted rear DP

I had my car opensourced by Dynamic Power Solutions in Gaithersburg, Maryland.

The EGT sensor needs to be accounted for in the tune (I assume you already got that far with the AP) or resistor found in the bottom 2 pics of this How To needs to happen to prevent a CEL.

In all seriousness you just need the o2 sensors in, something that looks like a cat and no codes.

Slightly off topic, The best Subi dealer in that area is not the local dealership in that area. If you can, return to Cherry Hill Subaru if you really need to go to a dealer for something that can't be done by independent shop.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived