LegacyGT.com

Possibly upgrading to a GT Wagon?

LegacyKid5

Hello Everyone, right now I've got a 2006 legacy wagon, its nearing 100,000 miles and I've always be interested in a GT, preferably a wagon... Well I was prowling craigslist and found this guy near me. It's a 2005 gt wagon, has 38,000 miles, and an automatic. http://bellingham.craigslist.org/ctd/2586567082.html

I was just curious to get the opinion of the enthusiast out there about the price, the car as a whole, and if anyone knows anything about the dealer (Gundies Auto in Bellingham, Wa)?

It is a very nice looking car with super low miles. I like the white - it makes me think of a new canvas saying "paint me". ;)

I think you could get them down a little on price, but (given the mileage) if it has been well taken care of it looks like a decent deal.

The GT (even in stock form) is a good step up from the "i" series. In addition to the power potential you get a nice improvement in braking (upgrade to SS lines and Hawk HPS pads for an even better experience).

I say go drive it and see what you think! :)

DJ

So this car is automatic, for those of you who own an 5eat would you rather have a 5mt, and for those of you with a 5mt would you recommend searching for a gt with a mt?

the car is clean and low mile, make sure the title and carfox are clean. You can always bargain it down but I think around 12.5 is a fair price... considering it's a turbo.

I traded my car in because of 5eat failure, torque converter shuddered, I'd like a MT but my daily commute would be too hard on my leg and arm... it's all depend on what you need:)

you'll be hard pressed finding a wagon MT. Good luck!

More likely you'll find an outback XT MT, which may be a good option if you want MT.

I'm hesitant with the mileage listed. Is that a subie dealer selling this? I'd do a very thorough CarFAX to make sure it isn't hiding the cause for such low miles.

Otherwise, do your homework on the 5EAT mods to make it a killer car and jump on it.

Love the wagons!

My 2005 LGT wagon with the 5EAT automatic has 125K miles, is completely stock except for the JDM center console, and is trouble free and going strong. It's as much fun to drive as when I got it, and the 5EAT is a very good auto trans. My service shop, LIC Motorsports, says they've found these cars to be fine as long as the oil and filter are changed regularly (twice per 7,500 miles for me), preferably with better-quality oil than minimum-spec oil like the Pennzoil used in a lot of quick-oil-change shops.

It is not a subie dealership, It is an auto wrecking place in bellingham, which worries me a bit... I looked at their website and they have quite a few cars for sale, but I dont know if I should be skeptical.

Here is the whole list of cars for sale: http://www.gundies.com/usedcars.htm

and the lgt is down towards the bottom.

So talked the dealer today, clean title, confirmed 38,000 miles, and might test drive it next friday! =] Now my question is, I originally was hoping to buy a manual if I upgraded to a GT, but we all know how hard it is to find that combo, and I do love my wagon... So do I sacrifice the MT and go for the wagon?

nice...i had an 09 2.5 SE and traded it for an 08 GT Limited 5spd with 26k miles on it a year ago...had my eye on 05-09 OBXTs since i do catering..and the fact that i love the 4th gen bodies...it looks really clean...hope the test drive goes well...if you want a cool place for an OBXT manual trans..i will share with you this place http://www.pursuitauto.com/inventory.aspx?_makef=subaru

ask for dan and tell him omar referred you...its in chicagoland area...Highland Park IL to be exact

im still looking for a OBXT limited manual trans...

Follow me on IG @chefodiycarguy

and @chefo.soriano

How do people own these cars and not drive them. My 05 GT wagon has 144,000 miles drive it just about everday. It's that much fun.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Agreed. I attempted to chat with an OBXT MT owner in the Alewife parking garage and asked how many miles were on his car... he gave me a strange look. I explained I have the same type of car and found it fun to drive. He just said, "oh... yeah I guess so. I don't drive it a whole lot."

Well that was a failure. Maybe he'll sell it soon. :)

To the OP, you might want to ask for a compression / leakdown test just to ensure that the engine is relatively healthy.

38k miles is very reasonable and believable. I have 30k on my 2006 Legacy Gt that I bought new in 2006. I only use it as a winter/ bad weather car and save my Audi cabriolet for the nice days. 5k a year on each car. It also allows me to mod-away as I always have a spare car.

So the original car I posted wasn't a limited, therefore no leather which is a crucial for me if I go through with upgrading. So I was looking around and found a private seller selling an 05 gt wagon 5mt, limted, with relatively low milage, which is pretty much everything im looking for! He is asking $18k and book on it is about $15.5k, what do you guys think is fair to pay? Also, what kinds of inspection should I have done to the car prior to purchase?

Look for wrench or tool marks on the tmic bolts and turbo heat shield. Ask if they have ever been removed.

Check the oil and tranny fluid. Tranny fluid should be relativly gold color. Take it for a test drive and shift into 3rd and 4th gear and see if the synchros grind, you need to do that at a high rpm, like above 4500 or 5000.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Archived