LegacyGT.com

"Bullet Proof" TMIC Kits

Do it before you have a leak or failure. What's holding you back?

It's been installed for about 4 weeks now. I was just bring lazy nothing was wrong with mine just took my time getting around to installing it.

2003 Baja 5MT

2016 Outback 2.5i Premium w/Eyesight

• Replies 808
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Seeeya and BarManBean. I installed mine this past Sat. It was very simple and straight forward. Great instructions were easy to follow. I rented the CV boot banding tool from my local Autozone. Also, since I had the IC off, I went ahead and installed a T25 Thermal Zero heat blanket that I ordered from Amazon. I kept the stock heat shielding as well. Doing the blanket install was what took the longest in terms of time and my hands paid the price a bit even though I wore gloves, getting the blanket in position wasn't that difficult, it was getting the SS wires routed and secured. In the end, I say it is worth while as I can actually feel the heat reduction and highly recommend this be done to reduce or eliminate heat soak on the TMIC.

In regards to the failures it might be the plastic getting heated and cooled (expansion and contraction) which causes the fingers to get loosened, and the boost pressures to make it burst especially on the output side of the compressor and where most of the heat is located.

wierd thing is that on the drive home it boosted just fine. No problems whatsoever!

It was mine looking like that that prompted me to create the BP Mod. Unless the rubber seal is blown out and it isn't holding boost whatsoever you can use vice grips and carefully recrimp that seam to original. THEN, install the BP Mod from BarManBean. After that you can forget it.

Thanks Seeeya and BarManBean. I installed mine this past Sat. It was very simple and straight forward. Great instructions were easy to follow. I rented the CV boot banding tool from my local Autozone. Also, since I had the IC off, I went ahead and installed a T25 Thermal Zero heat blanket that I ordered from Amazon. I kept the stock heat shielding as well. Doing the blanket install was what took the longest in terms of time and my hands paid the price a bit even though I wore gloves, getting the blanket in position wasn't that difficult, it was getting the SS wires routed and secured. In the end, I say it is worth while as I can actually feel the heat reduction and highly recommend this be done to reduce or eliminate heat soak on the TMIC.

In regards to the failures it might be the plastic getting heated and cooled (expansion and contraction) which causes the fingers to get loosened, and the boost pressures to make it burst especially on the output side of the compressor and where most of the heat is located.

Thank you! It is feedback like this that is what it's all about.

The thermal influences you mention doubtlessly play a part. Combined with the stresses introduced by boost from inside, and stresses from the way it is mounted on the outside, the OEM TMIC is a problem waiting to happen.

Thankfully, it is now a thing of the past once it is BP Modded. :)

Although they're too busy using their BP Modded cars to post their successes, I'm in contact with multiple users who regularly both road race their cars as well as autocross at higher boost levels. Years later now they are problem-free, despite upgraded turbos and tunes. Don't let anyone kid you, the BP Modded OEM TMIC is a great TMIC.

• Moderators
BMB, months after installing this I was cleaning up my garage and ran into 3 tiny plastic zip ties that I believe came with my BP kit. What are these for? Did I miss something in the instructions?

I throw those in with each kit so folks can zip tie the vacuum lines that the "blue T" (or similar area depending on specific vehicle). Did you already have those secured?

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

• Moderators
On my car its the plastic T under the TMIC where all the vacuum lines meet up. It can be slightly different for different models / years. The zip ties are included to secure vacuum lines from popping off, as is the corbin clamp. If you've already taken care of those you are good to go.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

That blue "T" doesn't exist for late model 4th gens FYI. I spent an hour looking for it based on a users recommendation to fix it when my car was running crappy last year. lol

Anybody running a bulletproof oem tmic w/ 16/18g turbos? I'm curious if the little thing gets maxed out at that point...

• I Donated
It's probably too late, no one has tested vice gripping the clamps back on and then bullet proofing it though, no guarantees would apply if you take that road. I have the same thing going on in mine at the moment, not sure what I'm going to do yet. I'll probably buy a used OEM then bp it