LegacyGT.com

Torn Passenger Axle boot

O_vang

Hey Guys,

The other day I was driving and noticed that something was smoking under the hood. I was super worried so I stopped and pulled over to check. Looks like the smoke was coming from under the turbo :\ Turns out the axle boot was torn and is leaking grease all over the exhaust pipe. Now my concern is....do I get a new axle or should I just replace the boot? My car is @ 94000 miles. Any advice helps! thanks

I went to my local Advanced Auto parts last Aug and paid $80.00 for a new axle. I installed it myself.

The axle has to come out to replace the boot. It's much quicker to just replace the axle.

FWIW, I was at he Stealership the other picking up some o-rings for the intake. While I'm waiting for the parts guy, the Service Manager comes over to a lady in the waiting room. I overhear her, you need a axle boot, that's will be $280.00 for that job and you need brake pads, that's $520.00 for that.

Guy's on here have said the dealers charge like $380 for a axle.

Any place can get you a axle and install it if you can't.

Don't let the dealer touch your car.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

If you're going to do it yourself with hand tools, get a 3/4" drive breaker bar with a six-sided 32mm or 1.25" socket. I broke two 1/2"-drive breaker bars on that axle nut.

I got this: http://subaru-car-parts.macautoparts.net/CV-Shafts-8224/6117750-2005-2009-Subaru-Legacy/ProductInfo.aspx

Works great, shipped fast.

Like ^ said, you need the proper tools to do this job. If you have then it's easy. If you don't you'll wish you did in about 10 minutes.

There's not much my 3/4" impact gun won't remove. Not that it's perfect, some Honda axle nut's have kicked it's butt.

To remove the lower ball joint from the LCA you need a 5lb hammer. leave the nut loose on the ball joint and wack the LCA until it pop's free.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Smart move.

It's much quicker to swap axles then play with all that grease. I put together the Rob Moore Nitro Drivelines custom made front axles for the XXXX WHP civic. So I do know how these things work.

For the money, replace the axle.

Count me in for this now too. Ugh.

If the burning grease didn't stink so bad I'd leave it but I'll be under there installing some new stuff soon so I'll add this to the list.

Have any of you experienced strange vibrations with the Empi axle from macauto? I've read of a couple instances of this.

Cheers!

Count me in for this now too. Ugh.

If the burning grease didn't stink so bad I'd leave it but I'll be under there installing some new stuff soon so I'll add this to the list.

Have any of you experienced strange vibrations with the Empi axle from macauto? I've read of a couple instances of this.

Cheers!

"Strange vibrations", sounds like some of the $40.00 free life time replacement axles for a Honda Civic. Once I had to replace 4 of them, "free life time replacement" before I got a good one. That wasn't the only instance have having to replace more then 1 or 2 before you get a good one. Good thing we have a trailer and truck to go get the car when my son called me to come get the car on the side of the road.

The axle I got from Advance Auto Parts for my 05GT that they got from another local auto parts store that I paid $80.00 is fine. The box said 100% new parts.

"Strange vibrations", sounds like some of the $40.00 free life time replacement axles for a Honda Civic. Once I had to replace 4 of them, "free life time replacement" before I got a good one. That wasn't the only instance have having to replace more then 1 or 2 before you get a good one. Good thing we have a trailer and truck to go get the car when my son called me to come get the car on the side of the road.

The axle I got from Advance Auto Parts for my 05GT that they got from another local auto parts store that I paid $80.00 is fine. The box said 100% new parts.

Thanks. Unfortunately I can't find any Advance Auto Parts stores in Washington State. :mad:

I'm not sure I trust that they'll send the proper one if I order online. The search continues.

Thanks for the advice guys! Looks like I'll be getting a new axle.

WAIT!!! don't do it, just fix it, I've been through hell with this same problem. I'm on my 3rd one in the past 8 months. These "re-manufactured" ones suck!! or at least sell me yours so I can fix it and put it in my car. Don't forget to get the seal for the trans and a new axle nut when you do this as well.

Archived