LegacyGT.com

CEL and blinking CC: P1518

ilh

On my 05 LGT's 1st birthday today, completely stock at 15,500 miles, it decides to light the CEL and blink the cruise control indicator. Reading the code with the gauge cluster yields P1518, which apparently is "Starter Switch Circuit Low Input".

Anyone see this before?

According to the vacation pix, it could be a connectivity problem between the ECM and the starter relay. The trouble symptom is "failure of engine to start."

I have never failed to start. However, for the last several weeks it seems as though it needs to crank for 2s before the engine will fire.

I guess I'm headed into the dealer. Ugh.

--Lee

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I got the same problem yesterday with a CEL and a blinking cruise light. I tried to read the code with my AP but it said no problems found. The car seeems to run fine (except the cruise control doesnt work) Anyone have any thoughts or ideas before I have to go the aformentioned dealer?
...sporting the hottest Legacy on the westside of my block:icon_bigg

I had the same problem today. The dealer thinks it was a vaccum hose leak.

Also had my ecu replaced as the radiator fan was stuck on all the time.

Also had my clutch lubed as it was squeaking.

They did not fix the clunking problem again which is probably my tranny mount.

I reset the ecu by unplugging the negative connect on the battery and holding the brake for 30 seconds. The lights are gone but my damn seatbelt chime is back!!! argh!
...sporting the hottest Legacy on the westside of my block:icon_bigg

I got the same problem yesterday with a CEL and a blinking cruise light. I tried to read the code with my AP but it said no problems found. The car seeems to run fine (except the cruise control doesnt work) Anyone have any thoughts or ideas before I have to go the aformentioned dealer?

Did you check you gas cap?? Also, my AP couldn't read the P2096 CEL ... (which I had turned off via a protune).

Wouldn't you know it. Friday morning when I started up to drive to the dealer, the CEL was gone. I guess it passed the requisite number of "drive cycles" without recurrence. The dealer tech went through the diagnostic tree for P1518 and everything checked out, so maybe just a false alarm.

While there I had them replace the wiper blades under warranty. I can't believe what I was missing! I had applied Rain-X a couple months ago and figured some of my wierd streaking was due to that. Nope. Change of blades and crystal clear once again.

At least after all this I know how to pull codes off the gauge cluster (finding the white test connectors near the fuses was difficult to say the least), and I have new wiper blades, so it wasn't all a loss.

--Lee

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

I got the same P1518 code last week and was able to have the dealership look at it. They checked the battery, starter and clutch connections and were found to all be healthy. Reset ECU and is now fine.

It did throw the code on me after I had been sitting in the car for about 10 minutes with the radio, seat warmers, driver map light and rear dome light all on. I'm wondering if that had anything to do with it? FWIW, It was me and my two daughters waiting at a Park & Ride in cold weather to pick up my wife.

Cheers,

Mike

I too got new wiper blades out of the deal...hmm.

• 2 months later...

I know this is an old thread, but why not revive it.

I got the P1518 code this morning when I started the car. I used my old VAG-COM tool to read it and then reset it. It did not come back immediately so hopefully it will stay away. Any chance this is related to the relay recall on MT Legacys? I haven't taken my car back to the dealer since I bought it.

• 3 months later...

Well, not to revive this thread yet again, but...our Suby gave us this error code a week or so ago, similar symptoms with the flashing CC light and the CEL going away on its own after a few engine start cycles. The car is an '06 Legacy (not a GT :( ), MT. At the moment everything seems fine.

Jarrod, my ODB scan tool manual showed this code as 'manufacturer specific'; it's possible your tool is showing the code definition for a different car.

-Matt

• 3 weeks later...
Just had the code pop up this morning when I was at work. But I just installed a new header but I dont think this is it because that would be a heat issue with the o2 censor. but who knows this code seems like a mystery code. The other thing I was thinking about is that I have a amp a capacitor and 2 12'' subs dont know but I reset it so we will see.

Same thing happened to me this morning? CEL Light and blinking CC light. I feel like our cars have contagious CEL problems. Nothing is wrong with my car. I checked the PSIs, nothing wrong, the AP will not read the CEL. I am going to disconnect the negative end of my battery tonight.

P1518 -> CR:dTC P1518 STARTER SWITCH CIRCUIT LOW INPUT

Diagnostic Procedure with Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC)

Step Check Yes No

1 CHECK FOR ANY OTHER DTC ON DISPLAY.

Is any other DTC displayed? Inspect the DTC

using “List of Diagnostic

Trouble

Code (DTC)”.

<Ref. to

EN(H4DOTC)(diag

)-69, List of Diagnostic

Trouble

Code (DTC).>

Go to step 2.

2 CHECK HARNESS BETWEEN STARTER

RELAY AND ECM.

1) Disconnect the connectors from starter

relay and ECM.

2) Measure the resistance of harness

between ECM and chassis ground.

Connector & terminal

(B135) No. 32 — Chassis ground:

Is the resistance more than 1

MΩ?

Repair the ground

short circuit

between starter

motor and ECM.

Repair the poor

contact in ECM

connector.

• 1 month later...
I started my car to go to the store a bit ago and to my surprise there was a CEL out of the blue. I checked it with my AP and it was p1518. So I called the dealership and they said it was an IAC problem. I reset it and everything seems fine, and has felt fine so not sure why it popped the code.

Amy

04 FXT vf39 5mt

Just had this code pop up for the second time in a month. First time, the car drove like it was in limp, I just cleared the code and went on my merry way. Second time was yesterday and my wife was driving the car. She said the car drove fine, but I had her pull the battery cable to do a hard reset on the ecu since I was at work. This car is begining to piss me off.

IC, my issue is back as of yesterday. I went to the dealership and they said it was the gas cap...but while he tightened the gas cap his face looked puzzled and the gas cap was tight...what's up with that theory dealership dude? He said to bring it back on Monday if the CEL light was still on.

When I had the codes read a week ago, they said it was a misfire so I am pretty sure it ain't the gas cap. I just played along to humor the guy.

Archived