LegacyGT.com

Things I learned buying a used Subaru this weekend

ryu_haneda

Hey all!

Recently picked up a Subaru from a used car dealer this weekend. The car looks great (I honestly think I got a nicely-treated ride). I drove it back up to PA from south Jersey for about 3+ hours on Saturday. When I pulled in to see my family back in Penn, when I stopped the car, smoke started seeping out of the hood.

Fortunately enough, my dad-in-law knows his way around cars (he used to dirt track race) and was able to pinpoint a leak problem. I confirmed this yesterday, when I brought it by my local garage shop. The main dude there told me that the valve gaskets are leaking slightly, but the bigger problem has something to do with the timing seal which is apparently just above the engine bay (sorry, something like that - I'm still a noob when it comes to knowing the engine).

Very valuable lesson I learned this weekend: do not rush when you are reading documentation you are about to sign, and when you test drive a car, test drive it like you would own it - I made the mistake of not really checking it out fully.

I apparently signed away dealership responsibility for repairs, and also got a complimentary warranty which did not cover wear and tear (but to be fair, I was already going to buy extended used car warranty coverage elsewhere, so I just got complimentary insurance).

However, even though they did not have to do anything to compensate me (even if I would have bought an extended warranty, I dunno if the warranty would have covered a repair so quickly), when I called the dealership and spoke to the guy that sold me the car, he went and talked to his supervisor, and the supervisor actually agreed to send me money for the repair itself.

I don't know if the money will cover the repairs entirely (it might not if there is more work to be done), but it's a nice gesture the dealership made, apparently when they didn't have to. (I'd have tried to do the same thing for someone if I sold them a car that gave them trouble after less than half a day.)

I'm taking the car to get fixed soon. When I do, the local garage shop will give me a quote. Hopefully it will be a cheap one, and we'll be able to get back on track (and my wife and I will be able to enjoy our Subaru again).

Thoughts?

-ryu_haneda

Subaru wannabe NO LONGER! Now an owner.

Very common with those years..... Valve cover gaskets, grommets, spark plug seals, crank seal and o-ring behind it. Once you fix that the car will probably be great, although it wouldnt hurt to throw in some BG 44k.

h

tHe HoV

Phase I 2.5 engines often push oil out the front of the camshaft seals. It runs down the front of the engine and is then blown onto the crossover pipe, where it burns, creates smoke, and smells bad. It's usually $3-600 repair. They usually go at 90,000 miles plus. Many replace the waterpump, change the O ring in the oil pump, and replace the camshaft belt at the same time.

These engines also blow head gaskets with some regularity. That's a $1,200 repair if you don't blow the motor.

How many miles on it? What did it cost you?

Ultimatesubaru.net is the best place for getting maintenance help on these older models - you'll find a million threads on each topic.

Who Dares Wins

スバル

After conversations this morning with my dealership in NJ, this is what I am going to do.

The dealership really wants to work with me, and doesn't care if I bring the car in to their garage to be looked at in NJ, or if I take it to my local garage repair (in PA). I'm going to take it to my local garage: less miles to get there, and tomorrow, they'll be able to give me an estimate for repairs for my dealer. I might be able to get them to start working on the car as early as Thursday or Friday depending on who they can speak to and how long the repairs will take.

I have learned countless lessons from all this, but I also know that if I'm going to keep this car (and I am), I am going to have to learn how to get my hands dirty. What can anyone tell me about maintaining a Subaru on my own? What are some of the problem areas, and what are some of the "you-better-be-sure-you-know-what-you're-doing-or-you-may-as-well-take-it-to-a-garage" repairs?

Thanks for your time.

Archived