LegacyGT.com

Help: Replacing stereo on a 02 legacy wagon

aroichotmail.com

Hello there, new poster here.

I need to replace my dead cd player (sony xplod m800) on our legacy wagon. I'd like to do it myself but looking at all fake wood the plastic trim around the dash i don't know where to start. I have searched the web and this forum for some pointers, but no luck. Would anyone be so kind to steer me in the right direction?

Thanks

Alex

I have a sedan but it should be the same.

Here you go.........................

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x215/CSTMIZR/01LGTRadioremoval1-2.jpg

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x215/CSTMIZR/01LGTRadioremoval2.jpg

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x215/CSTMIZR/01LGTRadioremoval3.jpg

What! After all that, no "Thank you" or "Thats what i needed"??? I'll thank you anyways for a well documented diy for those needing the know.

Thanks, well done.

I know right??? That's what I get for trying to help a noob :lol:.

J/K, I try to help when I can and the info stays around so others can benefit.

Thanks for noticing, glad it helped. :)

For search: BE/BH, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 00, 01, 02, 03, 04, radio, dash, climate control, wood grain, replacement, removal, aftermarket stereo, legacy, outback, wagon, sedan

• 4 months later...

I would like to say thanks! I have a broken CD changer in my subaru, and I either have to pay a bunch of money to get the dealer to replace it or put my beautiful 2000 Legacy into the hands of Best Buy. *shudder* I didn't figure it would be rocket science to replace it, and you instructions are fantastic! Thanks!

--Jenett

Well, I would like to say thanks! I have a broken CD changer and I either have to pay big bucks to get a dealer to replace it or put my beautiful 2000 Subaru Legacy in the hands of Best Buy. *shudder* I didn't figure it would be rocket science to replace the CD player, and your instructions are fantastic! Thanks again.

--Jenett

• 10 months later...

CSTMIZR,

Thanks so much for the detailed and well-thought out diagrams - that's some damn find contributin' my friend.

I just painted the ghastly "wood" trim on my '00 Legacy with Krylon plastic-bonding "hammer finish" silver - it looks like satin aluminum now that it's dry and I couldn't be happier. Before I came across your post I couldn't for the life of me figure out what was holding the bottom portion of the radio surround in! Again, muchas gracias.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
Boy am I ever late to this message string, but I am so thankful I came along it. Needed to replace the radio/cassette deck in my son's 2001 Legacy Wagon and was worried I'd never find good instructions on how to do it. These are great pics and instructions. Thanks!!!

• 4 weeks later...
this is awesome,! i have been looking for this info for a while now. thanks for the sweet write up! i hate paying someone to do something i know is really simple, i.e. installing a stereo, just cause i don't know how to take a piece of plastic off

Yeah, that's a good write-up, same thing in my 00' Legacy. The only thing I would add is BUY A WIRING HARNESS, its well worth it when you want to swap the old unit back in.

• 8 months later...

thanks a lot man

my new deck was sitting on my couch for 3 days until i found your writeup

one question if you do not mind

how did u get the 2 screws that are mounted upwards in the ashtray ?

i got the back one out but i just don't have space to do anything to the other ones

Just wanted to say thanks for the installation pics in advance. Going to be getting a stereo in the next month or two and this will help a lot. Anybody here do anything interesting and/or cheap with the extra space when going from the stock double din to a single din stereo?

My kit came with a cover that had a little cubby space in it, just enough space to put your wallet, stereo remote, or something small like that. Nice little usable space. I like that better than just a blank panel or worse, an opening without any cover!

• 1 year later...
  • 8 months later...

Archived