LegacyGT.com

rims and lowering and paint

im going to be lowering my car and getting some rims for my baby

i wanna drop it a fair bit maybe 2 inches at the front and 1.5 inches at the rear.. what spring/strut setup would be the best? im after a comfortable ride that handles well..

im thinking some xxr 502s 16'' or 17'' but i dont know what offset is needed.. i would like it to sit about half inch or 1 inch from the guard..

im also getting it painted in the near future.. its not very straight and the paint is starting to peel.. should i keep it the same metallic color or spend abit more and change it completely? what color

Factory offset is +55 I believe and the stock wheels are 6.5 wide. so the offset will depend on how wide and what tire size you run. I personally have 16X8 with a +48 offset... I am running a 225/50/16 tire and the rears will rub against the strut unless you run a spacer with this setup.

A comfortable and popular set up is KYB-GR2s and H&R lowering springs; will drop you almost 2". But read the suspension sticky: http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?t=38247 You are also in a good place to find JDM suspension.

As far as painting is concerned, do you want to do it yourself or have a shop do it? You can save a lot of money if you do as much of the prep as possible. Check out my paint thread: http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/monkeyposeurs-hatch-replacement-and-body-work-thread-175934.html

If you like the color you have now it is a good idea to stick with it. The reason being if you get chips they won't show up as bad. But if you don't care go with whatever color you like. That's what I did. If you can find a shop that will let you supply the paint then you can save even more money. Some shops will only use their own paint.

I went down to the subaru lot and looked at their new colors. But there are unlimited colors to choose from. I did all the body work and did the shooting on my wagon so I could use whatever paint I felt like. I'd recommend seeing a complete paint job instead of just a paint chip.

If you like your base color, you can always touch up the color and just do a new clear coat.

well i went to the suspension shop today and they quoted me $3500 for springs and struts.. they were kings super lows and kyb something.. the struts were $390 each.. so i searched on ebay and found a set of four for $300 including shipping.. but im leaning towards coilovers now.. i like the idea of being able to adjust it to whatever height i like.. found a set of tein for $1000 i might buy.. there in aus aswell so it will take less time to get here and freight is a hell of alot cheaper.. just waiting on freight pricing now.. are they hard to install?

as for paint, i probably can do it myself.. i have all the tools and knowledge to do it(done a few cars), just dont have the space.. and theres a fair few dings and marks in it which will take some time to get out.. i do like the color and it may look better with a metallic respray, but i really love white cars, so i have been thinking about that too.. its still a while away so i got time to get thoughts and opinions so shoot them at me :) open to any suggestions.. i plan on getting the jdm bumpers, ordered some jdm headlights too.. i have an image of what i would like it to look like, so i hope it does :)

For the paint, you mentioned you like white but also like the metallic look. Consider adding a sh!tload of pearl to the basecoat. Cadillac has a white paint code like that. (White Diamond code is WA800J). It's 3 stage and quite expensive.
RIP 96 Legacy 2.2 4EAT lost reverse @ 374,000 miles

• 2 weeks later...
unfortunately people the liberty is dead.. cracked piston 1 and snapped rod 3.. could afford to rebuild it so have sold it as a shell and scrapped the motor.. there was a huge hole in the bottom of the block and the heads were destroyed.. so no painting or lowering for me :( i ha enough money to buy a s13 silvia with 98,000kms metallic purple lowered on jap replica rims.. looks great :).. i am still hunting for another subaru, will wait for the right one to come along

Archived