LegacyGT.com

Clutch Acting Weird on 1998 Legacy GT

Hello,

My clutch has been acting weird. Every time its depressed, it makes a squeaking sound. And, after I've driven the car for a long period of time (like on the highway) or after it sits in the sun on a hot day, the clutch seems to get soft. Usually, even with the clutch pedal all the way down, when I try to go into reverse it grinds. I've looked at the slave cylinder, and it doesn't have fluid leaking out of it. Any way to check the master cylinder? Any other things that might be the cause? Maybe a simple flush will take care of the problem??

Thanks

• I Donated
Its normal DOT3 brake fluid for the clutch....and it gathers moisture over time and becomes less efficient. You can try flushing it out. Another possibility is the rubber line that goes to the slave cylinder. It can wear out causing pedal problems.

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Mine did the same thing, got worse and worse and eventually wouldn't operate clutch at all. I pulled my trans out and found clutch release lever split where the pivot ball rides. Just a thought...

Does your pedal ever only come back half way? Cause if yours is doin that too we have the same problem and I've been curious as to what it could be too lol.

Mine does everything yours is doing and also when it gets to the higher rpm range and u depress the clutch pedal, it only comes half way back out unless you give it a little help. It does seem.like the actual clutch is still engaged at all. But the pedal stays half way down.

That sounds like a release problem for sure. Mine did that as well. Sticking halfway up. Turned out the t/o bearing was shot. Didn't make noise until the day before it let go. But it was sticking for about two weeks prior to that.
I'm a native of South Carolina. I am a dying breed.

Archived