LegacyGT.com

transmission swap? other compatible trannies? 1995 specific

I've pretty much given up on trying to make my current tranny even close to decent.

3rd gear grinds when you shift at high RPMS

3rd gear moves around alot when throttle is applied

4th gear pops out as soon as you apply throttle

The whole shifter is loose

I've replaced all the bushings, and even that weird linkage part (I don't know how to explain it) but it still sucks. And even if I get rid of the play in the shifter, I doubt it'll cure the problem of not having 4th gear.

So now I'm wondering, what trannies can be swapped? I have a 1995 L model, I'm pretty sure it's different from GT models, it's cable clutch. Which is another question, if I convert to hydraulic, do I have to do anything special, are the brackets and holes already there to mount the master and slave?

So far I've figured out... actually I haven't found out anything. I read somewhere that WRX trannies won't bolt up, but I assumed that. My guess is that an older Impreza tranny should work, but I'm not sure. I'm assuming GCs are hydraulic?

My head hurts.

Yeah I need to make an appointment for my tranny to get fixed. Some people at a transmission place tell me that they will be able to fix my tranny. It shifts really rough from first to second and sometimes skips third gear and just goes straight to fourth.

Yeah I have the same problem. I have to make sure it wants to kick down before I go out and pass over a dotted yellow.

Whos_that_guy, I would love to have your manual tranny but I would have to swap a lot of stuff since mine is an auto.

Yeah I have the same problem. I have to make sure it wants to kick down before I go out and pass over a dotted yellow.

Whos_that_guy, I would love to have your manual tranny but I would have to swap a lot of stuff since mine is an auto.

i was asking $600 for everything needed to do the swap which isnt bad but some guy thought it wouldnt work since he had an impreza wagon

a swap would need:

manual trans

shifter boot

pedal box

slave cylinder

tcu

reflash of the ecu?

that's what I've gathered from pieces of other threads, but what's involved? if anyone wants to add to the list or whatever that'd be sweet.

For $600 I would buy it.. However shipping from Florida to North Idaho would be killer.

I think you would also need a different center consol, Kaz. The hole for the auto shifter is different sized than the manual shifter hole.

Yeah I need to make an appointment for my tranny to get fixed. Some people at a transmission place tell me that they will be able to fix my tranny. It shifts really rough from first to second and sometimes skips third gear and just goes straight to fourth.

Sometimes when I floor my it will shift down to the right gear to give power and sometimes it doesn't shift at all and stays in whatever gear I am in.

You are both just victims of automatic transmissions. Some cars just do these things. Sometimes automatic transmissions get it right, but most times they don't. Some transmissions are easy to make kick down a gear, others are lazy, some transmissions always shift to third regardless of throttle position, and some interpret easing off the throttle as a que to shift into fourth and stop accelerating.

Also, every Subaru made from 1989 and up except the Justy uses the same bolt pattern to hold the transmission to the engine. This makes swaps easy, but you still need a lot of parts... Practically an entire donor car to complete the swap. Other things like driveshaft length and clutch type vary, but all transmissions that came with any Subaru boxer engine have the same bolt pattern and will drop into the transmission mounts. If you swap the transmission from a 4 cylinder to a car with a 4 cylinder very little modifications are required to make the engine/transmission combo of your choice work. The exception is the Justy, which had an in-line 3 cylinder engine.

For $600 I would buy it.. However shipping from Florida to North Idaho would be killer.

I think you would also need a different center consol, Kaz. The hole for the auto shifter is different sized than the manual shifter hole.

i ment everything, center console also, ecu everything and shipping gah idk

Haha you should see how much it would be to ship it up here (83864). It would probably be freight since it is so heavy. I'd love my car forever if it were a 5 speed. If I lived close to you I probably would have just bought your whole car totalled and taken you interior, tranny, etc..

Archived