LegacyGT.com

FAQ: Subaru Legacy 2.5i

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 421
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well look who it is, traitor! How are you enjoying your torque steer? :lol:

It wasn't too bad, until I flashed to a Cobb Stage 1 map. Now it wants to kill me. I think you just kinda get use to it. The tires also spin a little in 1st and 2nd gear now, which adds to the chaos :lol:

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
^ bolt-ons will net you very little gains, in terms of power at least.

generally you'll get more value for upgrades to the suspension.

thanks, that's what i figured. i'd really like to megan racing coil-overs on if i do anything

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Just got an 09 Leggy 2.5i and I've got to say THANK YOU!!! I plan getting my look down first but definitely going the header cat back muffler route. Just want to be clean and sound good. This my new "I'm a dad" car.

I had 8mm phenolic spacers on my 2.5i, and it was a bitch bending the EGR pipe. I did have a 30 degree farenheit cooler intake manifold temp though after. If you want an easier installation, go with the 3mm ones. shouldn't be as hard. also, specify to the manufacturer whether or not you have the risers on your manifold. some manifolds have long bolts, others have short.

We have also found that the 08 GT rear limited slip differential is compatible with the 2.5i manual transmission and this has been successfully mated to take advantage of the performance and safety gains vs the open diff on the stock setup. The 05-07 5MT rear differential is also theoretically compatible with the 4EAT transmission as the ratios are the same at 4.111:1 but this has not been attempted on any cars yet.

If I am reading this correctly, stock differential(s) on a 2.5i are open? Both front and rear?

This is a question I've had for some time (I have an '05 and an '09 2.5i), and this is the closest to an answer I could find by searching.

• 3 weeks later...
My question is more for about looks. I know the GT hood has the vent and I like that look since I am trying to turn my 2.5i into a show car(looks only) I was wondering if the measurements lined up to be the same for the hoods of the cars because that is one of the first things I want to take care of since it should be the easier than putting the coilovers in slamming it and figuring out which height settings are best...I really hate that part for the record

My question is more for about looks. I know the GT hood has the vent and I like that look since I am trying to turn my 2.5i into a show car(looks only) I was wondering if the measurements lined up to be the same for the hoods of the cars because that is one of the first things I want to take care of since it should be the easier than putting the coilovers in slamming it and figuring out which height settings are best...I really hate that part for the record

That's what I did with my car. The hood swap will work fine, just make sure you find an 08-09 scooped hood, 05-07 hoods are different.

• 5 weeks later...

Hey all, I am new here (Thanks for this thread, its perfect for me).

Just a question, The good tires I bought a few years ago have finally been used up. So now I would like to update the wheels as well. Help me out on sizing, specifically regarding the offset/Width, what are my limits here? I am not looking to go nuts with this thing, just a better look. But I do not want to make a poorly informed purchase.

Any help would be great.

If you're on stock suspension and don't do much hard driving, I would go 17x7 or 17x7.5 with an offset that's at least +45. With these wheel sizes, the following tire sizes are the most suitable and the descriptions are my opinion of what they offer:

205/50/17: Most fuel efficient; however, you get the least curb protection for your wheels and will have the least grip of the group. Diameter is close to the stock 205/55/16, so gearing won't be effected. I would only recommend this as a winter size on a 17x7 since narrower is better for snow/ice. However, I'm guessing you would use your stock 16's for winter.

215/45/17: Best overall performance size for 17x7. Improved acceleration since the diameter is slightly smaller than stock, creating the effect of shorter gearing. Easier acceleration maintains fuel efficiency. You also get sharper steering response since there's less sidewall, and as a result, a slightly less comfortable ride. I use this size personally on my 17x7 since I value performance over comfort.

225/45/17: Best overall performance size for 17x7.5; the widest that's recommended for 17x7. It will give you more overall grip than the 215/45, but on a 17x7, you'll sacrifice a little steering response but maintain ride comfort. The wider contact patch may decrease gas mileage slightly. Diameter is close to the stock 205/55/16, so gearing won't be effected.

235/45/17: The widest that's recommended for 17x7.5. May give you a little more overall grip than the 225/45, but you'll sacrifice steering response. The wider contact patch, larger diameter, and increased weight will decrease acceleration performance and fuel efficiency, but will give the best ride comfort.

Cliff Notes for 17x7

205/50/17 - fuel efficient and comfort, but with the least grip and curb protection

215/45/17 - fuel efficient with good steering response and improved acceleration, but less comfort

225/45/17 - best overall grip and comfort and most curb protection, but less steering response

Cliff Notes for 17x7.5

205/50/17 - fuel efficient and comfort, but with the least grip and curb protection

215/45/17 - fuel efficient with sharp steering response and improved acceleration, but less comfort

225/45/17 - good steering response, overall grip, and comfort

235/45/17 - sloppy steering response and least fuel efficient, but most comfortable and most curb protection

Edited by N.sane

Nice write up! I did notice going from 205 to 225 response is slightly slower but i feel more stable in the turns and no slips even when wet! Next time around I might go 215/45/17, with the addition of the H-Techs + F/R sways i think the 225 patch will mix well