LegacyGT.com

Tuning with 130k miles?

yonith

Is it feasible to swap the turbo and get my car tuned being that it has 130k miles on it? One shop told me it is really risky especially with the automatic. Another didn't give any such warning and said they would do it. I'm just having second thoughts about installing the new turbo, downpipe, and tune. Maybe I should return the turbo and downpipe and just get a G37x. I'm afraid the car will become a money pit after all the work. Thoughts?

As with most vehicles in that mileage (which a lot of the 05-06s are getting to nowadays) it all depends on the care and maintenance up to that point. Was timing belt done along with the other slew of replacements necessary at the time. Check the health of your engine before you determine the tuning you want to do with it. Compression and/or leak down test, send oil sample in for analysis, check turbo for shaft play, etc. you will clearly determine what you can and can't do based on what you learn!!

If your compression is good, then there are no issues in putting a new turbo as long as it's tuned right. Detonation is a killer for all engines, keep it at bay and you'll be fine for a while.

Now it sounds like you've been on a stock tune for those 130k miles, stock tune is infamous for causing detonation and burned valves. Thus get a compression check and a leak down test done before you do anything.

05 LGT 16G 14psi 290whp/30mpg (SOLD)

12 OBP Stock 130whp/27mpg@87 Oct

00 G20t GT28r 10psi 250whp/36mpg

22 Ascent STOCK

Here's the short answer that most people don't want to hear: There's a good chance that it may become a money pit. Should you do it anyways? Vehicles are an expense not an investment. If you understand that and still have the desire and means to spend money on your car, then welcome to the club.

• Replacing your turbo (even if not 100% necessary) will prevent one of the most commonly reported problems with LGTs.
  • You may end up needing your heads rebuilt if the valves are burnt.

Other than that you'll have the same problems as any other used car with 130k miles.

I've tuned cars whom upgraded their turbos at 200k plus. Do a compression and leak down first to see how your motor is farring. It should be fine if the motor is in good runnning order.

Contact us for all your tuning and performance parts needs! Etuning the legacy community since 2008!

Follow us on FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

IM 122K, daily driven at 19psi, clean compression and leak down. about to retune with a

1.5xtr going for 18psi daily.

You will enjoy that turbo, great spool and powerband. :wub:

Contact us for all your tuning and performance parts needs! Etuning the legacy community since 2008!

Follow us on FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Archived