LegacyGT.com

Humming, roaring -- wheel bearing?

I can probably be added to the list of people with bad wheel bearings. I turned my radio off on the highway yesterday and noticed this roaring type sound. At first I thought it was tire noise, but then I realized that wouldn't make sense. I've been running these tires for a few thousand miles and they're really quiet (Hankook Ventus V12 Evos). The noise sounds like a roaring, humming type of sound -- almost like a jet engine taking off.

I noticed the sound gets a lot worse when I'm turning to the left, and it quiets down when I'm turning to the right. Is the a fairly good indicator that it's a wheel bearing and not something else? Is it also a safe assumption that it's a bearing on the right side because the noise is worse when I'm turning left -- which shifts weight to the right of the vehicle. I really only seem to notice it at higher speeds, and it's difficult to hear over my obnoxiously noisy gearbox and exhaust (so it could be happening at lower speeds and I don't hear it over all the noise my car makes).

The next step is to find a buddy with jack stands and a solid jack so I can lift the right side up and do some tugging. We've never had a vehicle have a wheel bearing fail, but I guess there's a first for everything, and these cars seem to be prone to it.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Its probably the wheel bearing. I've replaced one and the another is getting ready to be replaced. As a reference my car just turned over 68k this month.

2012 Xterra Pro-4X

2003 Outback Sedan Limited

D.U.S.T.O.F.F.

"Dedicated Unhesitating Service To Our Fighting Forces"

• Mega Users
im having a right rear wheel bearing issue i think. the noise doesn't really go away either way I turn and there isn't any play in the wheel when you jack it up. could it still be a wheel bearing? it sounds like wah wah wah wah wah wah
"Remember Danny - Two wrongs don't make a right but three rights make a left."

I'll set up an appointment with one of my Subaru dealers (the car is still under the extended warranty) and hopefully they'll figure it out right away.

I may as well have my other odd front end noises looked at while it's in there.

I'll set up an appointment with one of my Subaru dealers (the car is still under the extended warranty) and hopefully they'll figure it out right away.

Dude, I have a 2005 LGT and my rear wheel bearing was replaced last month for free by my dealer. (My original factory warranty has expired) Apparently there is a factory warranty extension to 100,000 miles for this item.

You should have no problem getting your wheel bearing replaced for no charge

Dude, I have a 2005 LGT and my rear wheel bearing was replaced last month for free by my dealer. (My original factory warranty has expired) Apparently there is a factory warranty extension to 100,000 miles for this item.

You should have no problem getting your wheel bearing replaced for no charge

The extended wheel bearing warranty is for 2005 and early 2006 vehicles though -- I've got a 2008. Thankfully my extended warranty covers me until 80K and the vehicle has 76K on it now.

Where can I find info about this extended warranty that was mentioned. I haven't heard of this before. If that does apply to my car I'm calling the dealer in the morning instead of paying a shop to do the repair.

2012 Xterra Pro-4X

2003 Outback Sedan Limited

D.U.S.T.O.F.F.

"Dedicated Unhesitating Service To Our Fighting Forces"

Where can I find info about this extended warranty that was mentioned. I haven't heard of this before. If that does apply to my car I'm calling the dealer in the morning instead of paying a shop to do the repair.

Well in my case I remember reading another thread about it here.

So I called my dealer and explained the symptom. They told me that they would test drive my car and replace it if the bearing was indeed bad.

• I Donated Too
and watch what the dealer does... I had all four of my bearings go bad and fixed them a couple of months ago. The warranty on 05's covers the rear bearings so I bought new SKF bearings online and did the fronts myself and then took the car into Wakefield Subaru (MA.) and they changed ONE of the rear bearings and told me my gearbox had some significant whine... so I ordered the other rear bearing online from the same place and did the final rear bearing myself, discovering the hub nut on the bearing they did was already working its way off the hub because they didn't crush it into place and the rubber bung on the e-brake adjuster missing. Of course when the car was back on all four wheels I had cured my significant gearbox whine. Utter shower of b*****ds most of these places...

Here you go.

TSB #03-58-08

Subaru of America, Inc. has initiated an Extended Warranty Program for Rear Wheel Bearings on certain 2005 and early 2006 model year Legacy and Outback models. Coverage will be extended to 8 years or 100,000 miles.

During a quality review, Subaru discovered that there is a possibility that one or both of an affected vehicle's Rear Wheel Bearings may, over time, develop a noise condition that causes the bearing to produce a whining sound. This sound does not pose a safety issue and does not adversely affect the normal operation of the bearing. However, if the vehicle experiences this condition, it should be corrected by replacing the affected bearing, which will eliminate the sound. As a result of this finding and in the interest of customer satisfaction, SOA is extending the Rear Wheel Bearing warranty coverage period for the affected vehicles to 8 years (96 months) or 100,000 miles, whichever occurs first.

General information concerning this extended warranty program:

• Technical Service Bulletin number 03-58-08 will be posted on the Techinfo.Subaru.com website on or around May 5, 2008. The Bulletin will contain additional information concerning identification of affected vehicles, repair and claim submission procedures.
  • Since this is an Extended Warranty Program, no mailing lists will be provided to dealers. However, vehicles within the affected VIN ranges will be identified in the Vehicle Coverage Report found on Subarunet beginning early next week.
  • On or around May 5, 2008, SOA will mail owners of affected vehicles a letter advising them of the warranty coverage extension. A copy of the letter can be found at the end of TSB 03-58-08.
  • Most vehicles affected by this warranty extension are still within the original warranty coverage's provided.
  • Repair Parts - additional quantities of repair parts have been placed in inventory. Since this is a warranty extension only, we anticipate only a slight increase in demand after owners receive their notification letters.

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Just had mine done yesterday at the dealer and it was fully covered under the TSB extended warranty. Of course though they also found, torn cv boots on both sides in the front and a leaky power steering pump. I guess I know what's next on my "to do"

list.

After some phone calls I've decided I don't want to take it to the dealer. I'm tired of the incompetent techs working on my car. I'm bringing it back to the guys at EFI Logics in Connecticut to have it worked on. They did work on my car in the past and I was very happy with the service from them.

I want to get rid of my Perrin PSRS and replace it with the AVO polly bushings instead. I figured I may as well have this all done when the wheel bearing is done. I'll also be due for an alignment and Subaru dealers won't give me the negative camber I want (only one degree) because it is "not to Subaru's specifications."

Feathered tires can cause humming too at 40+ mph. I usually end up feathering my left tires because I make more high speed left turns than right. Initially I had the wheel bearings checked out, nothing wrong with them, they said it was the tires. Once the tires were replaced, humming was gone.

I just replaced both front bearings which are not under warranty. I'm not sure I didn't get taken for a ride. The actual bearing goes for $12 - $25. The front hub (this is a dealer price) is over $300.

So, which did I need? I probably drove around for 3 months before I decided to get the car serviced. Did I mess up the axel?

They only come as a hub/bearing "set", which is a huge improvement over the old setup where you had to pull the hub, press old bearings out, grease and press new bearings in and reinstall the hub. With the advent of the 4th Gen Legacy, there is no separate bearing and hub, it's all one assembly.

What you're looking for is item number 1 for the front hub.

http://www.trademotion.com/schematics/mechanical/F731025.gif

and item number 10 in this view for the rear hub assembly

http://www.trademotion.com/schematics/7/7523710.gif

Both available from Fred Beans Parts for $124.46 and $104.96 respectively.

They only come as a hub/bearing "set", which is a huge improvement over the old setup where you had to pull the hub, press old bearings out, grease and press new bearings in and reinstall the hub. With the advent of the 4th Gen Legacy, there is no separate bearing and hub, it's all one assembly.

and item number 10 in this view for the rear hub assembly

Both available from Fred Beans Parts for $124.46 and $104.96 respectively.

Ah, half was labor. I guess not too bad.:spin:

Couldn't find the part on Bean, Google showed just Subaru Front bearings".

Feathered tires can cause humming too at 40+ mph. I usually end up feathering my left tires because I make more high speed left turns than right. Initially I had the wheel bearings checked out, nothing wrong with them, they said it was the tires. Once the tires were replaced, humming was gone.

I don't think my tires are feathered. They have only a few thousand miles on them, and they were just rotated. I'll give them a closer look tomorrow.

Ah, half was labor. I guess not too bad.:spin:

Couldn't find the part on Bean, Google showed just Subaru Front bearings".

Front Hub: 28373AG00A

Rear Hub: 28473AG00B

Fred Bean P/N Search

Just enter the Front or Rear P/N into the "Search by Part Number or Keyword" box, or click on the Search Multiple Part Numbers link below that box, and enter both P/Ns, then Choose Subaru in the Choose Make drop-down, hit enter, and it'll pop right up.

Works similarly for other Subaru Parts sites.

Front Hub: 28373AG00A

Rear Hub: 28473AG00B

Fred Bean P/N Search

Just enter the Front or Rear P/N into the "Search by Part Number or Keyword" box, or click on the Search Multiple Part Numbers link below that box, and enter both P/Ns, then Choose Subaru in the Choose Make drop-down, hit enter, and it'll pop right up.

Works similarly for other Subaru Parts sites.

Bearing versus hub - could not find bearing and did not think of hub.

Ah, it's over with front wheels quite and smooth. 100 K plus miles and it now runs like new again - including the annoying sunroof rattle - oh, diferent thread,

Archived