LegacyGT.com

Best MPG?

I do a lot of driving on the highway. I was wondering what speed everyone was going to get the best MPG?

Duh, 55 foolio.

70ish seems to be best for me.

Of course 70 is not going to be the best mileage. One of the biggest factors in highway mileage is WIND RESISTANCE.

70 is merely the point where you feel that more speed is too much of a diminishing return. Also, driving 55 on the freeway/highway will cause accidents :lol:

Anywhere from 65-80, you will earn 26-31mpg's on hwy. Gas stations make a big difference too. I noticed with texaco and chevron, I was able to go 20-35miles more before having to fill up again. I conducted a 3 month test on Bp, 76, texaco, chevron, shell, and Mobile. Texaco and Chevron lasted longer with a 20-40 mi extended life, however you did have to pay a small bit more per gallon. but yea ha

Best I've achieved for a tankful was an indicated 27.7 mpg, which turned out to be 26 mpg actual. I typically drive 75-80 mph, so that's pretty good for those speeds. Worst I've ever gotten was around 17 mpg indicated, 16 actual. Normal range is around 18 - 19 mpg city and 22 - 25 mpg highway.

You couldn't be more wrong. 55mph may perhaps be the most efficient speed for cars say 20 yrs ago when speed limits were first instituted but that's not true for cars of today. Case in point, my other car gets the best gas mileage at 80mph. Tested this multiple times on the same stretch of highway, same day, same temps and conditions and 55mph was consistently much much lower. Altho your 2nd blurb bout wind resistance holds true.

Disappointingly enough, my LGT gets worse gas mileage than my higher HP car :(

Duh, 55 foolio.

Of course 70 is not going to be the best mileage. One of the biggest factors in highway mileage is WIND RESISTANCE.

70 is merely the point where you feel that more speed is too much of a diminishing return. Also, driving 55 on the freeway/highway will cause accidents :lol:

Best EVER for an actual sustained drive (>100 mi)

27 from digital readout, cruising ~65 in NC in the summer from W-S to the beach, car was less than a year old.

I have been averaging 24.6 digital readout, 24 calculated, over the past couple months since I started my new job (80 mile roundtrip commute)

Disappointingly enough, my LGT gets worse gas mileage than my higher HP car :(

Yes but factor in the cost difference (from new) and how long would it take you to "save" money ;)

<---- my 700th post woot woot :spin:

im jealous to all of you...

im only getting 15 on the street and on the hwy is 18...20 if lucky. my car is not even that modded....spt intake and infamous Stage 1...is there anything i need to be concern about besides pain in my pocket?

Remember that for a single tank, math based on a fillup isn't any more accurate than the mpg display.

The number of gallons pumped is accurate, but some pumps will cut off with a more or less full tank, which can vary by like a gallon, than others.

As for the, i get better MPGs at certain gas stations, I call BS. Gasoline is a fungble commodity and the same truck dumping fuel in the Shell is probably dumping fuel in the Texaco across the street.

there can be some exceptions, some stations will get winter gas before the other based on how much is consumed. When new gasoline regulations are upcoming, certain refineries may implement the change before another.

There will also be differences between locations, certain states or cities will mandate certain formulas.

However, the idea that when one brand name slaps its name and a tiny additive pack (like a few cups for a tanker full) makes it instantly more efficient is incorrect.

Oh and ~29mpg@65.

I say all gasoline are pretty much the same except for the ethanol junk.

Remember that for a single tank, math based on a fillup isn't any more accurate than the mpg display.

The number of gallons pumped is accurate, but some pumps will cut off with a more or less full tank, which can vary by like a gallon, than others.

As for the, i get better MPGs at certain gas stations, I call BS. Gasoline is a fungble commodity and the same truck dumping fuel in the Shell is probably dumping fuel in the Texaco across the street.

there can be some exceptions, some stations will get winter gas before the other based on how much is consumed. When new gasoline regulations are upcoming, certain refineries may implement the change before another.

There will also be differences between locations, certain states or cities will mandate certain formulas.

However, the idea that when one brand name slaps its name and a tiny additive pack (like a few cups for a tanker full) makes it instantly more efficient is incorrect.

Oh and ~29mpg@65.

Archived