LegacyGT.com

why do we justify re- engineering a new car/part

My friend owned a '69 MGB-C. It was broke a lot. An Uncle was visiting from England and they were discussing why this was the case. The Uncles conclusion. My friend drove the car too much! The uncle was rather upset that my friend was abusing his car in this way. The Uncle's solution was walk and /or take the bus to work all week(dont use the car) drive only on weekends and spend the rest of your free time fixing the car. The Problem was not a poorly built or designed car but that you actually wanted to use your new car!!! (BTW this was in the mid 70's) Why am I bringing this up? The KEY FOB for these cars is the WORST. Its dangerous. Ive never seen another more sensitive crappy design. Ive watched and read another link on this sight tell me the following : My pants are too tight/ wrong size/or style Ways to put paper clips in the FOB How to redesign it with rubber and an exacto knife That im a Dope/Idiot just dont put it in your pocket till your blocks away Get a special holder for it thats the problem I love my car overall but this thing sucks and we should demand that they take this one back and SUBARU give us one that works right and is safe. WE SHOULD NOT HAVE TO REDESIGN A NEW PART TO WORK PROPERLY.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
unfortunately there is no perfect car. there are thousands of variables that are taken into consideration when a car company builds a car. there is always going to be a screw up. although the car key is something so simple and obvious, subaru managed to screw that up. but don't forget, they were dead on with a hell of a lot of things with the actual car. i can live with teh shitty remote control, i'll just hang it on a chain or something. i'm sure some company will come up witha redesign solution for us someday.

End of the world -no. Dont buy or sell the car -no. Every other car Ive owned the remote was a no brainer this one sucks but most people here seem to be saying its fine the owners are screwed up or lazy or whatever. This is my first Subaru. Maybe this have to redesign things to work as they already is the cool part of owning a Subaru. Sorry.

Mine won't even work at all half the time I want it to. :mad:

I'll be standing right next to my car, hitting the unlock button.. no response.

And then after a few tries and looking like a dumbass, it will finally work. I have tried a new battery in the fob and it still does this. I am gonna talk to the dealership about it...

yes it works. As you say too well. Some of the problems- I dont know if the car is ever really locked because when I put the key (oops my bad-hold the key until 500 yards away) in my pocket and move it does whatever it wants --lock -unlock- open trunk. So I park at the Mall say and THINK I lock the car it unlocks itself and my car is open.

i seriously don't see what all the guff is all aboot. i mean really. i have yet to have a problem with the key fob for the suby. i keep my keys on a D-clip, and either hang it off the belt loop on my pants, or i throw it in my bag when i'm working. not once have i accidentally unlocked/locked, or popped my trunk. why is that? because i know better than to keep it in my pocket where buttons can be depressed and such. i personally like the ease of the buttons on the remote. i love the range these puppies can get, too. if the remote to the remote starter/security system i'll be putting in has at least the same range as this remote, i'll be sound as a pound.

Guest *Jedimaster*

It is pretty annoying to have the thing so sensitive, but as was already stated, if that's the worst thing to happen...

I enjoy the range it has though- in the morning before work I like to have a cigarette in front of the building- and as everyone walks in, I click the fob and make people turn around and wonder what's up :D

Colonel how is it that this remote is the only one ive ever had that you can not put in your pocket. Maybe they shuold issue D -clips to all us owners. Yea thats the problem Yea that must be it. Its cant be a screwed up design .Its just im stupid enough to think i can put the key in my pocket like every other car ive owned. Amazing.

Colonel how is it that this remote is the only one ive ever had that you can not put in your pocket. Maybe they shuold issue D -clips to all us owners. Yea thats the problem Yea that must be it. Its cant be a screwed up design .Its just im stupid enough to think i can put the key in my pocket like every other car ive owned. Amazing.

ok, first off, you need to relax. second off, the times i've had these keys in my pockets, nothing was accidentally unlocked or locked, armed or disarmed.

now, if you want to continue this bs attitude, go right ahead. you voiced your opinion on the key fob matter, as have i. if you want to further this pointless petty discussion, feel free to. you can attempt your condescending attitude on someone who'll put up with it. if you still find yourself wanting to insult me, take it to PM. otherwise, let it go.

If a sensitive remote is the worst thing that happens to the car, I say we as owners are pretty well off compared to other cars.

That's the usual cop-out. But there are tons of little things like that with this car. They are all more or less little, but they add up, and they point to a common theme: lack of attention to details.

It was OK to be quirky for a an affordable high-performance sports car that doesn't pretend to be luxurious or to compete with the big boys. It's quite a different thing on a $30K+ high-performance sedan or a high-end Outback.

Key fob is too sensitive

Lack of auto-up or residual power on windows

Some controls are not lighted

Not enough light in the car

Seat not very comfortable

No power seat memory

Average stereo that cannot be upgraded

Crappy tires

Weak ABS system

Fragile windshield

Below average paint job

Funky ACC

Stinky clutch

Underdamped rear-end (Outback)

Should I continue?

Yes, most of these are pretty minor and you may not agree with all of them. But they are all issues that people do not expect to find in a car of this level. And most of these are not cost issues, they are simply engineering/attention to details issues.

Don't get me wrong, I like my OBXT for it's incredible performance, utility, and capability. But at the same time I am quite disapointed with all these little issues I'm finding and that really should have been taken care of...

OK, you can all flog me now :D

Guest *Jedimaster*
That's the usual cop-out. But there are tons of little things like that with this car. They are all more or less little, but they add up, and they point to a common theme: lack of attention to details.

It was OK to be quirky for a an affordable high-performance sports car that doesn't pretend to be luxurious or to compete with the big boys. It's quite a different thing on a $30K+ high-performance sedan or a high-end Outback.

Key fob is too sensitive

No power seat memory

Crappy tires

Weak ABS system

Fragile windshield

Below average paint job

Funky ACC

Stinky clutch

Should I continue?

Yes, most of these are pretty minor and you may not agree with all of them. But they are all issues that people do not expect to find in a car of this level. And most of these are not cost issues, they are simply engineering/attention to details issues.

Don't get me wrong, I like my OBXT for it's incredible performance, utility, and capability. But at the same time I am quite disapointed with all these little issues I'm finding and that really should have been taken care of...

It sounds to me like you should have bought something else. Not flaming you here. Personally, this is the nicest car I've ever owned and there are things that could be improved, but the positives FAR outweigh the negatives for me.

Key fob is too sensitive

No power seat memory

Crappy tires

Weak ABS system

Fragile windshield

Below average paint job

Funky ACC

Stinky clutch

Should I continue?

I have to agree with Jedimaster on this one. Sounds like some other car company should have gotten your money. There is nothing about my Legacy GT wagon that disappoints me, other than that it isn't invisible to police radar, so I have to exercise some caution. :lol:

Besides, for every person vexed by things such as the remote, there's one (such as I) who isn't, and who doesn't have problems with any of the things on that list, because:

My key fob is fine.

I roll my windows up before shutting off the motor.

Everything I need is lighted just fine.

Plenty of light in the car for me.

I hate power seats.

The stereo sounds great to these audiophile ears, and I would never upgrade a car stereo. Why?

The tires are fine for 99% of the car's prospective owners.

My ABS has never gone off...have to check that one out. :lol:

My windshield is just fine. Most people's are.

This paint was a good wax (Griot's Best of Show) away from metallic-hued beauty. :D

My clutch doesn't stink (this might be a user issue).

Drove a base Outback, and didn't notice any damping issues. The car is undersprung, but not underdamped.

See what I mean? A car's deficiencies are all a matter of perspective.

What's even more interesting is that people have different views of mods. Some, such as power or suspension mods, are cool. Others, such as the "rubber bumper" key fob mod, mean that Subaru sucks. I don't get it. :lol:

Kevin

Im not trying to insult anyone. This problem is not going to cause me to sell my car or not by the car in the first place. My point was why cant we admit at times that something needs to be addressed at the factory and not at the owner level. Why would any company improve there product if the owners were fine with fixing the faults themselves? Just because a comment is critical does not make you the problem.

Archived