LegacyGT.com

New shoes - Kosei K1 TS

chenc544

Very nice, I got the same ones but the 7 inch wide model. I swear I am getting better gas mileage with these things. Even the tire shop commented on how light they were.

It's the whole rotating mass factor. I have heard various rule of thumb from 4:1 to 10:1, whatever it is the butt dyno can tell the difference. I weighted the wheel tire package and it was ~35.5 lbs compare to ~42 lbs for the OEM/RE92.

I just got the 18" version at 15.9 lbs each.

Rotating mass is usually an increase by 3x in respect to car wheel&tires (radius/velocity/etc all play a part)

More importantly I think... is the reduction in unsprung weight on the suspention... (better transitional handling)

AND

the reduction in gyroscopic forces from the reduced rotational mass (heavier spinning wheels are more inclined to continue spinning straight so lighter means easier to stear).

Just 42 lbs for the OEM? thought it would be even higher then that.

I'll post the weight of my 18" wheel tire package as soon as the F1 GS D3's are mounted. should be a few under 30 lbs if those beefy tires you have chimed in at 35.5! :-)

Just 42 lbs for the OEM? thought it would be even higher then that.

The OEM 17" weights 19-20 lbs and TireRack has the RE92 at 23 lbs so that comes out to ~42 lbs. Give a take a little for the 20k mile tire wear. I was really surprised by how accurate the TireRack number turned out.

I just weighed my rims as well, and noticed the same 6.5lb improvement. My stock rims with winter tires came in at 44.0lbs, whereas my RP-F1's and Kumho SPT's (215/45/17) came in at 37.5lbs.

My scale must be a little off compared to yours.

Dave

Kumho SPT weights in at 22 lbs according to TireRack and 17x7 RP-F1 is about 15.2 lbs according to EdgeRacing so that makes it about 37.2 total. I think your scale is about right. What kind of winter tires were you running? From my search even tires of the same size could have weight difference of well over 5 lbs. Part of the reason I went with ContiExtremeContact is because it's 20 lbs vs RE960AS at 26 lbs and M550 at 27 lbs.

Archived