LegacyGT.com

Engine Noise!

Hello Gang,

i have a 2008 legacy 3.0R

it has about 108k miles on it

its mostly stock

i have a noise that i need help tracking down. i have no idea where its coming from exactly.

the noise doesnt seem to increase when i press down the gas peddle.

Not sure if its a valve tap?

or a worn belt tensioner?

heres a quick vid. ill get a more detailed vid tomm thanks!

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a365/weazel240/th_20150313_185837_zpsg7pjhwqt.mp4

That sounds to me like injector noise/valve tap.

But if its not changing with relation to engine speed, all of that is ruled out. Hell, almost all of everything is ruled out.

Have you tried using a long screwdriver as a stethoscope to possibly pinpoint where the noise is coming from?

MTBwrench's Stage 3 5EAT #racewagon 266awhp/255awtq @17.5psi, Tuned By Graham of Boosted Performance

Everyone knows what I taste like.

I'm pretty sure my car has always sounded like that. I've always figured it's just another unique sound that these cars and horizontally opposed engines make.

I recorded a clip of my car starting in the link below, and you can hear what sounds like the same thing when I move the camera towards the back of the engine 26-27 seconds in.

https://youtu.be/0uUUesIWxzM

Yep, that's valves/injectors, my motor hat 190,000 miles on it, sounds the same way. Get a screwdriver ad touch it to the heads/rocker covers and injectors, whichever one is loudest is the source of your noise

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MTBwrench's Stage 3 5EAT #racewagon 266awhp/255awtq @17.5psi, Tuned By Graham of Boosted Performance

thank you everyone for the replies.

The noise does not seem in increase with engine speed (from what i can tell anyways i have an after market muffler on that drones out that ticking noise.)

my oil level is good i recently checked and topped offf accordingly.

i did notice this afternoon around 12pm at about 45 degrees on cold start the noise is not audible.

How ever as i went shopping today i did hear it when i was in a parking lot.

My phone died after 7 hours of shopping so i didnt get a more detailed vid of the engine noise, but i did get one of the cold start.

I didnt hear anything ticking as i originally posted about, only the norm engine nise can be heard.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a365/weazel240/th_20150322_124601_zps6xztdlfv.mp4

I'll concur, it doesn't sound like anything terribly bad. But, then again, I don't have a ton of experience with the H6, and all we have to go by is a cell phone video. If you really want piece of mind, find someone local to take a listen and give you their opinion. Although, I've heard the EZ30 engines are way more reliable than the EJ255 engines. Often lasting quite a few miles more. I wouldn't expect you to start having valve problems already, I think the valve job maintenance interval for the EJ is something like 215k.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived