LegacyGT.com

VMS Short Shift Adapter

Hello Guys & Gals,

I was looking at the Perrin Short Shifter Adapter and feel on VMS Racing, who seem to have a simialr product.

https://www.vmsracing.com/products/2015-2016-subaru-wrx-billet-short-shifter-shift-adapter-also-11-15-legacy-gt

Anybody know them or have experience with them or concerns.

I saw the price and man that is one killer price, almost too good to be true!. I may pull the trigger but won't be able to install until the summer months looking for any input from the legacy gt crew.

Thanks!

That looks like a copy of the Perrin product in all but color. They also have a cheap bushing and shift stop that look like copies too.

EDIT: They have lots of copies it looks like, and a really annoying website.

why do you say that?

I think the fitment is probably good and all. But seems like they rushed to bring it to market maybe most other ssa have weight to them just like the stocker. I can't personally say it makes a big difference, but I definitely like my boomba ssa.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

For sure I do like my Boomba as well, but if this or the perrin were way cheaper I could someone preferring not to pay more or even liking the non-weighted version. I just thought that "biggest POS they sell" meant he had a good story...

have you seen or used one? or any Perrin products?

I've had one since they were newly released. No issues. I've found everything that I have on my car from Perrin is quality. TB hose, shift bushing, shifter stop, short shift adapter, and steering damper lockdown. I also have their turbo heat shield on the Fozz. I think they got a bad rap from one of their TMICs not fitting well on the 4th Gen Leggy.

I've had one since they were newly released. No issues. I've found everything that I have on my car from Perrin is quality. TB hose, shift bushing, shifter stop, short shift adapter, and steering damper lockdown. I also have their turbo heat shield on the Fozz. I think they got a bad rap from one of their TMICs not fitting well on the 4th Gen Leggy.

Maybe they changed but nothing from them fit well when I was outfiting my LGT.

and the sorth throw shifter was crap i had from them.

I haven't had any issues with Perrin stuff, either. Just have the brass shifter bushing on this car, but had silicone intercooler hoses on my old wrx.

Looks like VMS is duplicating a number of things from Perrin at lower prices - they have a brass shifter bushing for $17.88 (vs. $25 for Perrin) and the shift stop for $32.95 (vs. $43 from Perrin) - the shift stop even comes in 3 colors (which seems silly for a part you can't see when installed...). The short shifter is $46.95 vs. $94.50 for Perrin. VMS doesn't say if their short shifter is plated or not - it looks like it might be zinc plated, but the description just says it's steel (which will rust... a lot)

About the

VMS doesn't say if their short shifter is plated or not - it looks like it might be zinc plated, but the description just says it's steel (which will rust... a lot)

VMS mentions

"CNC MACHINED BILLET STEEL Zinc Plated VMS Racing Short Shifter Adapter for the 2015-2016 Subaru WRX with the 5 speed manual transmission, does not fit the STi. Will also fit the 2011-2015 Legacy GT with the manual transmission."

So the only difference outside of price is one is yellow zinc plated the other is not.

Also curious why they don't mention the 2010.

About the

VMS mentions

"CNC MACHINED BILLET STEEL Zinc Plated VMS Racing Short Shifter Adapter for the 2015-2016 Subaru WRX with the 5 speed manual transmission, does not fit the STi. Will also fit the 2011-2015 Legacy GT with the manual transmission."

So the only difference outside of price is one is yellow zinc plated the other is not.

Also curious why they don't mention the 2010.

I've been meaning to get the Boomba short shift adapter. I will sell you my Perrin for $50 shipped CONUS. It has less than 10k miles on it and has lived in fair weather California since it was installed.

I personally don't support companies that make knockoff parts. They didn't do the R&D, who knows the quality of their parts, and they are clearly copying the Perrin parts, all of them. It's not right.

So the only difference outside of price is one is yellow zinc plated the other is not
I was reading the second paragraph where they mentioned billet steel, but apparently skipped right over what's like the 5th word in the first paragraph! doh!

The yellow coating is typically a chromate coating and it's done to improve the corrosion resistance of the Zn. Zn is very active (which is why its used as the sacrificial material in galvanizing) so self corrosion can be an issue - by giving it a little protection, you make sure it can do it's job when the coating is damaged and the underlying steel is exposed, rather than corroding away before then! The yellow coating is a good engineering practice, but it does add cost, which is why for most zinc plated fasteners, you see bare zinc, rather than chromated.

I've been meaning to get the Boomba short shift adapter. I will sell you my Perrin for $50 shipped CONUS. It has less than 10k miles on it and has lived in fair weather California since it was installed.

I personally don't support companies that make knockoff parts. They didn't do the R&D, who knows the quality of their parts, and they are clearly copying the Perrin parts, all of them. It's not right.

Thanks appreciate the offer, but I am still on the fence about doing this mod, like most of us spend look of coin on the car, plus I am not in the ConUS, I am north of the border in Montreal all the way on the other of the continent so suspect shipping would not make it worth it. Thanks.

Looks like you may some other takers based on the Thanks you got.

I agree and try to do the same. Perrin should really file design patents on their parts to avoid direct knock-offs like these.

Archived